(About N. Bonaparte)

:-)

Tas

samivel
50952.  Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:11 pm Reply with quote

Norma is as selfless as I am, Ron

Celebaelin
50954.  Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote

I once knew a very pretty girl with an incredibly strange name Emanegnar Tsylbid Ercninah Tiwlrigyt Terpy Revawenk Ecnoi.

samivel
50956.  Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:23 pm Reply with quote

Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas

Celebaelin
50959.  Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote

Evil is a name of a foeman, as I live.

Celebaelin
50978.  Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:06 pm Reply with quote

Bald elf fled lab
Elf farm raffle

Tas
51024.  Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:39 am Reply with quote

"Bolton's not a palindrome....if it was, it'd be Notlob!"

(With apologies to the Monty Python team)

Tas

simonp
128092.  Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:11 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
IMHO dyslexia is all too quickly diagnosed to children who are either lazy or not academically gifted. In some cases, I think parents jump on even the slightest mention of the syndrome and label their children - almost as an excuse for their poor showing in school.

Are there no 'slow kids' any more? We have dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD and all sorts of other ways of saying that a given person does not do well at certain things. Maybe some kids are just 'thick'.

<prepares sandbags for the inevitable attack>

Tas
128098.  Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote

*prepares sniper rifle to defend simonp*

Tas

dr.bob
128100.  Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:39 am Reply with quote

I think in the "good old days", some able people with genuine problems were failed by the system because it simply labelled them as "thick".

I guess it's possible that everyone is so sensitive about this kind of thing happening these days that some kids who genuinely are thick are desperately being put into some other pigeon hole to which they don't belong.

Then again, which system is better?

Tas
128113.  Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess it's possible that everyone is so sensitive about this kind of thing happening these days that some kids who genuinely are thick are desperately being put into some other pigeon hole to which they don't belong.

I think there is over-sensitivity to pretty much everything in general these days. There is far too much hand-wringing and political correctness around. Differentially-abled, not telling kids they lost (as we are all winners in our own way), renaming festivals because we don't want to upset minorities and so on. Just thinking about it really p!sses me off.*

I understand that some kids that were otherwise fine and intelligent people probably got labelled 'thick' or 'hyper' or 'troublesome' because of whatever learning or behavioural disorder they may have suffered from, but these days it seems that every kid has some problem. It's bad enough dumbing down exams and the general nanny-state attitude that prevails at the moment, without all this added in.

*Looks like I am headed into Grumpy-Old-Manhood at a definite pace here...

Tas

Flash
128535.  Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
renaming festivals because we don't want to upset minorities

Can you give an example of this? I'm trying to research an article and can't find one. The clippings mention only Winterval in Birmingham, which we all know to be a myth, and I can't find any real ones - so help would be appreciated.

samivel
128549.  Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:23 am Reply with quote

I think Winterval would be a good name for Christmas. They should use it.

dr.bob
128556.  Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:40 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Can you give an example of this?

Well, they renamed Saturnalia to be called Christmas. Does that count?

To be honest, despite all the tabloid outrage, I don't think this is a major problem over here. We haven't even gone as far as the US who invented the execrable greeting "Happy Holidays" allegedly in an attempt to not discriminate against other faiths.

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next