View previous topic | View next topic

Duct Tape

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

mckeonj
48835.  Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote

Duct Tape (or Duck Tape) is a great topic, as is its antithesis, WD40.
Both can be found here:
http://www.ducttapeguys.com/onaroll/newsletter
I used to hang around there before I discovered QI.
Do take a look, you may be pleasantly surprised.

gerontius grumpus
48840.  Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote

Duck tape, duct tape or elephant tape is something that has spawned no end of urban myths.
It features strongly in the Darwin awards and probably deserves a programme all of its own.

Archaenon
48845.  Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote

I almost started on Duct Tape , then thought better of it. I see there is some similar thoughts bouncing around.

As for Duct Tape I've seen a grown man taped to a wall upside down on a U.S. Navel Carrier with 8 rolls of Duct Tape.

Duct tape is so simple and useful , people tend to lean twoards doing the most inane things with it.

Duct tape seems to be the new cure for common ailements now:
http://www.sptimes.com/2002/10/25/Columns/May_the_duct_tape_be_.shtml

gerontius grumpus
48858.  Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:49 pm Reply with quote

Is it called duct tape because it's used for sealing ventilation ducts?
If that is the case, I would guess that duck tape is a brand name chosen for it's similarity to duck. That doesn't explain elephant tape though.

Amie
48873.  Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:19 pm Reply with quote

My biology teacher uses duct tape to seal in all his windows in his house because he is so scared of bird flu.

Just incase you wanted to know =D

djgordy
48874.  Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:21 pm Reply with quote

I suspect that his understanding of biology is suspect then.

gerontius grumpus
48876.  Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be safer to use eleohant tape?

Caradoc
48907.  Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:49 pm Reply with quote

Archaenon wrote:
As for Duct Tape I've seen a grown man taped to a wall upside down on a U.S. Navel Carrier with 8 rolls of Duct Tape.

Navel Carrier! I know obesity is a problem in the US....(Sorry couldn't resist it)

When I was at uni (1978-81), helping set up bands or discos we called it gaffer tape, I think the Duct/Duck is an import.

Quaintly Ignorant
48908.  Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote

*puts hand up*
Gaffer tape here an'all. Because, I assume, it's what gaffers use.

djgordy
48913.  Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote

A gaffer is the head electrician on a movie set and gaffer tape is a kind of insulting tape. Ermm....I mean insulating tape.

Jenny
48917.  Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:34 pm Reply with quote

But it was originally known as duck tape, not duct tape. This is Wikipedia's account, which chimes with the version I've heard of this over here:

Quote:

Duct tape, originally known as duck tape, is a strong, fabric-based, multi-purpose adhesive tape, usually silver or black in color, although many other colors, including transparent, are also available, and is usually 1.88 inches wide. It was originally developed during World War II in 1942 under the name "Duck Tape" as a waterproof sealing tape for ammunition casings. Permacel, then a division of Johnson & Johnson, used a rubber-based adhesive to help the tape resist water and a fabric backing to facilitate ripping. Because of these properties, it was also used to quickly repair military equipment, including jeeps, guns, and aircraft.

After the war, the housing industry boomed and people started using duct tape for many other purposes. The name "duct tape" came from its use on heating and air conditioning ducts, a purpose for which it, ironically, has been deemed ineffective by the state of California and by building codes in most other places in the U.S. (which means professionals are restricted from using it in systems they install, but do-it-yourselfers are not). However, metallized and aluminum tapes used by professionals are still often called "duct tapes"

So it was called duck tape, not because it was anything to do with sealing ducts (to which it is not well suited) but because it was waterproof.

Archaenon
48934.  Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:47 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
But it was originally known as duck tape, not duct tape. This is Wikipedia's account, which chimes with the version I've heard of this over here:

Quote:

It was originally developed during World War II in 1942 under the name "Duck Tape" as a waterproof sealing tape for ammunition casings. Permacel, then a division of Johnson & Johnson, used a rubber-based adhesive to help the tape resist water and a fabric backing to facilitate ripping.

So it was called duck tape, not because it was anything to do with sealing ducts (to which it is not well suited) but because it was waterproof.

Wow , what doesn't Johnson & Johnson make? I've been seeing lots of product's I did not know they had thier hand in recently. The same goes for Boeing now. Maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention to J&J.

Tas
48953.  Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:27 am Reply with quote

Duct Tape (aka many different brand names) is like The Force.
It has a dark side, a light side and it binds the universe together.

:-)

Tas

DELETED
49010.  Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:34 am Reply with quote

DELETED

Gray
49016.  Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:56 am Reply with quote

How to make a duct-tape wallet:

http://www.rpi-polymath.com/ducttape/duct_tape_wallet.html

A brief google lists many objects you can make from the stuff...

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next