View previous topic | View next topic

Perception of rape

Page 153 of 154
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 152, 153, 154  Next

dr.bob
1274109.  Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:11 am Reply with quote

I saw an interesting interview with a former charity worker over the weekend. He basically said that the kinds of environments that these people are working in are pretty extreme. They're either war zones or natural disasters, and they're places where the normal rule of law and society has essentially broken down.

He said it was clearly difficult to attract people to work in those conditions. He also said that some people who's lives and/or mental states were pretty abnormal were sometimes attracted to that kind of work since, in such an extreme environment, they would feel more "normal".

He summarised it by saying, whilst most charity aid workers are amazing people doing incredibly valuable work, he had met some people working for charities who, in his words, "I wouldn't feel comfortable having them looking after members of my family."

filofax
1274115.  Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote

I don't understand what this means:

Quote:
There was a woman being coerced to have sex in a humanitarian response by another aid worker,

'yorz
1274127.  Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote

The author seems to hint at aid workers corrupting each other as well.
But a confusing statement indeed.

suze
1274130.  Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
IHe said it was clearly difficult to attract people to work in those conditions. He also said that some people who's lives and/or mental states were pretty abnormal were sometimes attracted to that kind of work since, in such an extreme environment, they would feel more "normal".

I can understand that. It's perhaps no great surprise that a weird work environment attracts some fairly weird people.

In other lines of work, a company might say "This a pretty horrible job ... but we'll pay you shitloads". Charities aren't often in a position to say that, so it is all that shocking if instead of that they sometimes say " ... but there's beer and hookers". And if they do say that, then they get the sorts of people who find those notions attractive.

dr.bob
1274135.  Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote

They may not say that themselves, but it may be possible for applicants for the jobs to learn about such "perks" via other means and for this to lead them to be motivated to apply for the jobs.

Alexander Howard
1274151.  Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote

In the Middle Ages you just had to say to someone "Take a spear and go to fight for the Holy Land and all your sins will be forgiven". Then it did not matter how many atrocities they committed (or that that the Bible does not say anything about it); they had been promised forgiveness and could behave as they wished following all their animal instincts and they would still be deemed good men. In a secular age the equivalent is doing charity work.

dr.bob
1274250.  Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:55 am Reply with quote

It's worth remembering when discussing this problem that the vast majority of charity aid workers do excellent, much-needed work and don't exploit anyone.

For all those politicians who are talking about removing funding from charities based on these minority of cases, I wonder if we should remove funding from any political party that's had a member* embroiled in a sex scandal in the past.

* Fnarr!

'yorz
1274252.  Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:08 am Reply with quote

Of course there will be jerk reactions. There always are. But I was (perhaps naively) rather surprised that there had been previous dealings with wayward do-gooders.

dr.bob
1274361.  Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:03 am Reply with quote

I heard another interesting aspect to this case on the news last night. Someone was explaining how charitable aid organisations deal with major disasters.

The simple fact is that it's not practical to keep a staff of thousands of people on the payroll on the off-chance that they might be needed at some point. So, when a disaster occurs, these charities have to very rapidly recruit hundreds or thousands of people to be sent out to deal with the problem.

Clearly, recruiting that number of people on the shortest possible timescale is going to restrict what kinds of checks you can carry out on people. I imagine they'd be able to check if someone has any convictions against them, but it'd be much harder to check 'round all the other charities to see if anyone's had any bad experiences with each of these people.

The suggestion being made last night was setting up some kind of worldwide register of charity aid workers, so charities would have an easily accessible resource to check people against when recruiting large numbers. Clearly this won't be perfect, and I'm sure people will find ways around it, but it seems like a step in the right direction.

'yorz
1274783.  Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:16 pm Reply with quote

And the stars they keep falling down (even posthumously)

Quote:
Toni Sailer was the Austrian athlete of the century -- a folk hero, a movie star, a style icon. He now has another title: accused rapist.

Information has emerged that police in Zakopane, Poland had investigated a claim of rape against Sailer in 1974. Sailer was in the country to compete in a slalom World Cup.

The fact that it took four decades for the story to comes to light suggests that authorities invested great effort to protect the reputation of a sports star. While researching the story, journalists of Der Standard, Dossier and ÷1 were repeatedly asked: must you really write about this?

The woman who had the guts to file a complaint against such a mondially adored man was very brave indeed.

I'm curious to see how long it will take for his Wiki-page to be amended.

Added: Recent article from Zeit Online, for those who understand German.
It includes a picture from a newspaper article from 1975 where the author laments that grass should be allowed to grow over the Zakopane story.

Excerpt: "It's just a stupid story about a bloke and a bad professional bitch and a Niagara of alcohol."

AlmondFacialBar
1274851.  Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:41 am Reply with quote

Geez, for about 30 seconds I was under the misapprehension there that in 1975 Die Zeit had actually defended him for it. I'm glad to see that wasn't the case.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

dr.bob
1275091.  Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:31 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
'yorz wrote:
As for 'sacking' - not entirely: Michael Fallon resigned over a knee-touching incident. If that's all he did, then resigning was quite unnecessary.

You're right. However, that was far from all he did.

So here's a delightful coda to this case. It turns out that, since he resigned from his post, Michael Fallon was given a severance payment of a quarter of his annual ministerial salary.

In other words, as a result of being forced to resign for being a serial sex pest, Mr Fallon was given a golden goodbye of over £16,000 funded by the taxpayer.

This feature of the case came to prominence north of the border with the reporting of the case of Mark McDonald. The Aberdeen Donside MSP was accused of sexual misconduct. The exact nature of the accusations have not yet been made clear by the SNP. However, as a result of the accusations, he resigned his post as childcare minister. Thanks to this, he received a leaving bonus of £7,270.

Mr McDonald has now been missing from Holyrood and his constituency surgery since November. His constituents are no longer being represented in the Scottish Parliament but, because Holyrood has the same ministerial rules as Westminster, Mr McDonald can not be sacked and continues to receive his full MSP salary of £61,778 for doing precisely cock all.

As for Mr Fallon, the Membersí pay and expenses rules clearly state (section 3.4) that a minister will receive a severance payment "when a minister ceases to hold office." Doesn't matter if he resigns, is sacked for gross incompetence, or is arrested for a criminal offence. As soon as he ceases to hold the ministerial office, he gets a big fat severance cheque in the post.

'Cos that's what happens with most other employees, right?

'yorz
1275094.  Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:18 am Reply with quote

Is that just custom or law? Anyhoo - that really should be changed. Which body can put the pressure on to change that revolting rule?

Alfred E Neuman
1275098.  Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:35 am Reply with quote

Rape accusation which didnít go as planned...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/true-crime/wp/2017/08/11/jury-orders-blogger-to-pay-8-4-million-to-ex-army-colonel-she-accused-of-rape/#ampshare=https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/true-crime/wp/2017/08/11/jury-orders-blogger-to-pay-8-4-million-to-ex-army-colonel-she-accused-of-rape/

Efros
1275103.  Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:02 am Reply with quote

The woman in that case is a complete nutjob. Have a look at her blog.

She denies the existence of homosexuality, merely that there are people who practice it.

She maintains that the Sandy Hook School shootings were carried out by agents of the Government.

She erroneously posts that Einstein believed in God and Jesus, Einstein's views on such things were complex and changed over time but they always tilted toward agnosticism.

Now none of that disqualifies her claims concerning the rape, it does, however, make you wonder about her sanity.

Page 153 of 154
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 152, 153, 154  Next