View previous topic | View next topic

Perception of rape

Page 153 of 154
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 152, 153, 154  Next

Baryonyx
1271284.  Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:32 am Reply with quote

Mmm good point. I admire you for diving into a comments section under an online article too, 'yorz!

'yorz
1271291.  Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:18 am Reply with quote

Often do. Among the more prevalent shite and bile sometimes there's a sensible thought tucked away. :-)

crissdee
1271362.  Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:46 am Reply with quote

Putting this here because it hardly seems worth a thread of its own. I will fill in a few background details for non-UK posters.

A black cab driver named John Warboys was convicted of raping or assaulting 12 women in his cab, and suspected of at least a hundred assaults. He was sentenced to a minimum of eight years, and told he could not be released until they were convinced he did not pose a threat to other women. This was in 2009, and he is set to be released at the end of this month.

My question is this. How can they possibly think that a man who is suspected of attacking a HUNDRED women, will ever be fit for release into civilised society?

Efros
1271366.  Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:53 am Reply with quote

They probably don't but there's not a lot that can be done about it, if I've read the background around this correctly, unless he re-offends, which given his track record will be very quickly. That doesn't of course help the people that are going to be at risk. It's a very serious problem of the rights of an individual versus those of society at large.

barbados
1271369.  Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:55 am Reply with quote

One plus from the discussion that is surrounding Warboys at the moment is that it has opened up the debate about transparency in the parole system. Hopefully it will bring about the change required so all will not be in vain. Warboys may be allowed out, but because of his age and notoriety he will still be in prison (just not behind bars).

'yorz
1272381.  Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:40 am Reply with quote

Misandry - today's topic on Victoria Derbyshire. One guest has had the very refreshing guts to quote what schoolgirls hear on their way to school, on a daily basis - "Do you want some cock?" She acknowledged that it's not a word that is usually used on a daytime show, but if girls are forced to listen to that kind of language in broad daylight, then that should also be mentioned on a daytime show that deals with that very subject.
Bravo!
And now we can sit back and wait for the complaints to flood in and the Beeb to apologise.

suze
1272428.  Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote

The guest in question was Jo Swinson MP (Lib Dem, East Dunbartonshire).

Ms Derbyshire has tweeted about it. Unfortunately she used "c**k" in her Tweet, but if the BBC rules say that she must then I guess she must.

Slightly to my surprise, The Sun has taken Ms Swinson's side here. I doubt I shall ever say this very often, but on this occasion well done The Sun. Rather less to my surprise, the Daily Mail hasn't. I decline to link to that organ in any case, but the comments below its coverage are all too predictable and all too brainless.

For instance, "Does she not realise that children are in the room at that time of the day! I was disgusted with her using that vulgar word." Pre-fucking-cisely!

Spike
1272660.  Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:53 am Reply with quote

Interesting article in The Week: The Female Price of Male Pleasure

Quote:
A casual survey of forums where people discuss "bad sex" suggests that men tend to use the term to describe a passive partner or a boring experience. (Here's a very unscientific Twitter poll I did that found just that.) But when most women talk about "bad sex," they tend to mean coercion, or emotional discomfort or, even more commonly, physical pain.

'yorz
1272662.  Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:08 am Reply with quote

I'm not among 'most women' then - for me, 'coercion, or emotional discomfort or, even more commonly, physical pain' means wrong sex.
Bad sex to me is indeed one-way traffic, disinterestedness (cum-turn-snore), unfamiliarity with female anatomy and erogenous zones, etc.

Spike
1273272.  Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:01 am Reply with quote

Isn't that the point? Too many women accept things that are wrong with a shrug, 'oh well, it happens' instead of making it clear to men that it was wrong - or bad, or boring. Wouldn't want to hurt their poor fragile egos; but unless women speak up how will it ever improve. Surely better sex for everyone is a good goal?

'yorz
1274097.  Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:30 am Reply with quote

Charitable sex
Last sentence of this article:

Quote:
Now the spotlight is being shone on other charities, with Save the Children, Christian Aid and the British Red Cross all confirming they have dealt with cases of sexual abuse or harassment by staff in the past 12 months.

What's effing wrong with these people?

dr.bob
1274109.  Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:11 am Reply with quote

I saw an interesting interview with a former charity worker over the weekend. He basically said that the kinds of environments that these people are working in are pretty extreme. They're either war zones or natural disasters, and they're places where the normal rule of law and society has essentially broken down.

He said it was clearly difficult to attract people to work in those conditions. He also said that some people who's lives and/or mental states were pretty abnormal were sometimes attracted to that kind of work since, in such an extreme environment, they would feel more "normal".

He summarised it by saying, whilst most charity aid workers are amazing people doing incredibly valuable work, he had met some people working for charities who, in his words, "I wouldn't feel comfortable having them looking after members of my family."

filofax
1274115.  Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote

I don't understand what this means:

Quote:
There was a woman being coerced to have sex in a humanitarian response by another aid worker,

'yorz
1274127.  Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote

The author seems to hint at aid workers corrupting each other as well.
But a confusing statement indeed.

suze
1274130.  Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
IHe said it was clearly difficult to attract people to work in those conditions. He also said that some people who's lives and/or mental states were pretty abnormal were sometimes attracted to that kind of work since, in such an extreme environment, they would feel more "normal".

I can understand that. It's perhaps no great surprise that a weird work environment attracts some fairly weird people.

In other lines of work, a company might say "This a pretty horrible job ... but we'll pay you shitloads". Charities aren't often in a position to say that, so it is all that shocking if instead of that they sometimes say " ... but there's beer and hookers". And if they do say that, then they get the sorts of people who find those notions attractive.

Page 153 of 154
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 152, 153, 154  Next