View previous topic | View next topic

viruses can get viruses??

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

'yorz
957587.  Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:53 am Reply with quote

gruff5 wrote:
" a virus that was so large its size questioned the definition of a virus" - it walks like a bacteria, it quacks like a bacteria - it's a f***ing BACTERIA!!!

a bacterium (singular)
two bacteria (plural)

Simples*

CB27
957592.  Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:12 am Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleocytoplasmic_large_DNA_viruses

Looking at a few of them, a certain name pops up a few times as part of the discovering team.

dr.bob
957622.  Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:26 am Reply with quote

gruff5 wrote:
I asked for the original Nature article referred to - ie a peer-reviewed article in Nature magazine that follows the normal procedure of hypothesis-testing, experiment, data etc etc

Which was quoted at the end of the blog piece.

Since you seem to be particularly hard of thinking, I'll reproduce it so you can see what I'm talking about:

Quote:
Source

Bernard La Scola, Christelle Desnues, Isabelle Pagnier, Catherine Robert, Lina Barrassi, Ghislain Fournous, Michele Merchat, Marie Suzan-Monti, Patrick Forterre, Eugene Koonin & Didier Raoult. The virophage as a unique parasite of the giant mimivirus Nature DOI:10.1038/nature07218.

All you really need is the last bit: "DOI:10.1038/nature07218"

Type that into google, and it'll take you directly to the letter published in Nature. Still, why bother doing that when it's much more fun to condescend and patronise people, then boast about that on entirely different threads because you're so proud of your actions.

gruff5 wrote:
PS I've not bothered to try and have articles published in The Guardian

I guess that must be the only reason why you haven't had any articles published there.

CB27
957671.  Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:47 am Reply with quote

The funny thing is that I originally tried the link mentioned in the article, found that it was for subscribers only, tried to be helpful and look for a copy that was free, but couldn't, so when I went to post the link here, because I had several tabs open, I copied the wrong one.

You try and be helpful and get sneered at for your effort. Charming.

gruff5
957880.  Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote

letters to Nature, Doc Bob (where did you get your mickey-mouse PhD, BTW?) - did you not read my previous post about what a publication to Nature means??!

much as I like wikipedia & use it frequently myself, it should not --

oh, for fuck's sake, I said I would not post again unless someone said something interesting & I should stick to my word.

I can see why Davini got the hell out of QI forum - a gathering place for some (not most of you QI'ers, natch) of the greatest dullards to stumble onto the internet

OK, continue discussing this phantom amongst yourselves ...

Byyyeeeee!!

Posital
957927.  Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:09 am Reply with quote

I don't know that it's a phantom, just headline reporting. I think it's news that's at least four years old getting a spruce - up.

Looks like you have a heavy weight on your shoulders.

Stay well gruff5.

CB27
957950.  Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:39 am Reply with quote

Can someone clear up all the toys someone threw out of the pram?

dr.bob
960268.  Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:30 am Reply with quote

That's a shame. I do so enjoy a good flounce, and I haven't seen on around these parts for quite a while. It's a pity I'd already left for my christmas holiday and missed this one.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2