View previous topic | View next topic

Dark Sucker theory

Page 1 of 1

R-Seven
47979.  Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:01 am Reply with quote

This theory of quite amusing and interesting.

No idea if it's in anyway correct or not but my attention was brought to it by NewScientist magazine. The weird thing is that I tried to research it and everywhere I looked the explanations where exactly the same, word for word, to see one copy of this information look at this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/A594092

This is the only varied description of it:

Quote:
The more scientific explanation is as follows. When an electrical current is applied to a Dark Sucker, a small opening is torn in the space/time continuum to which "dark" is extremely attracted. Needless to say, the closer one gets to an activated Dark Sucker, the less dark is present. Those skeptics who try to refute this theory like to call on the presence of heat around a "light bulb" when it is operating. The physics of the reaction bear the theory, despite argument to the contrary. When "dark" is compressed through the space/time rift, the compression causes an exothermic reaction (the same way the compression of gases in an internal combustion engine does). In conclusion, when a Dark Sucker ceases to operate ("burns out" in light bulb parleyance), it has actually consumed the maximum amount of dark that it possibly can (one could say that it has become full). When this happens, there is no recourse except to replace the full Dark Sucker with a new, empty unit.

Any more information anyone has word be great...

Rory Gilmore
48000.  Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote

Hehehahahahaahhh! I knew that light was light! But where does the dark come from?

Jenny
48005.  Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:17 pm Reply with quote

Well you've heard of matter and anti-matter? Dark is obviously anti-light.

DELETED
48007.  Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote

DELETED

DELETED
48008.  Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:20 pm Reply with quote

DELETED

Quaintly Ignorant
48015.  Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:16 pm Reply with quote

I know that photons do not have an anti-particle, per se. They are their own anti-particle.

Rory Gilmore
48017.  Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote

But- But- Oh, I'll take your word for it.

Gray
48022.  Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:57 pm Reply with quote

Sounds a lot like 'Phlogiston' which was a material that was thought to be magically lost from things when they burned. Upon weighing the combustible materials before and after, and discovering that it weighed more afterwards, phlogiston was abandoned. But it turned out to be 'not oxygen', or 'negative oxygen' as you might call it.

Garrick, have you seen one of those exquisite little Crooke's Radiometers? Rather surprisingly, the theory that the vanes are turned by the momentum of light (as I thought) is contested, as you'll read at the bottom of that page.

mckeonj
48117.  Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote

I was an instrument maker and laboratory technician for many years, and met many interesting devices and measuring instruments, and quite a few 'interesting' scientists as well (that is, 'interesting' in the proverbial sense). One very neat and useful device was an integrating radiometer which recorded the total amount of radiant energy it received while exposed. We were using it to measure the amount of radiation available to plants at the forest floor. I cannot now remember the name of the device. It was made entirely of glass tubing, and mounted vertically in use. The inner tube terminated at the bottom with a glass bulb having a matt black outer surface, and filled with a volatile liquid. The outer tube had a narrow graduated collector at the bottom. The assembly was evacuated and sealed permanently.
Energy absorbed by the black bulb caused fluid to evaporate from it, and subsequently condense in the outer tube, collecting in the graduated tube, giving an indication of the total radiation received. Reset by inverting and restoring the asssembly. There is a toy called the 'drinking bird' which works in a similar fashion.
Pictures and technical stuff here:
www.backstreet.demon.co.uk/oddstuff/drinkingbirds/drinkingbirds.htm

Last edited by mckeonj on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total

gerontius grumpus
48433.  Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:02 pm Reply with quote

In The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C S Lewis they found a dark island which radiated darkness, just as a light source radiates light. Interesting idea.

Flash
48464.  Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:56 am Reply with quote

Quote:
We perceive that by a beneficent scheme of spells and counter-charms when the light goes darkness gradually appears, and when darkness has run its appointed span the light is ready again to take its place. What, however, would occur if by some celestial oversight this had not been foreseen, and both light and dark had been withdrawn together? The logical mind bends almost double beneath the weight of so dire a catastrophe ...

Ernest Bramah

Gray
48487.  Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 am Reply with quote

Beige, I think. That type you get in IKEA stores.

Barsabbas
828394.  Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:03 am Reply with quote

Hahaha. The Dark Sucker Theory is quite interesting indeed. I have read the theory multiple times over the past year and so believe - against all common sense - that this is perfectly valid.

Dark Sucker Theory

For years it has been believed that electric bulbs emitted light. However, more recent information has proven otherwise. Electric bulbs don't emit light, they suck dark. Thus we call these bulbs dark suckers. The dark sucker theory proves the existence of dark, that dark has mass heavier than that of light, and that dark is faster than light.
The basis of the dark sucker theory is that electric bulbs suck dark. Take, for example, the dark suckers in the room where you are. There is less dark right next to them than there is elsewhere. The larger the dark sucker, the greater its capacity to suck dark. Dark suckers in a parking lot have much greater capacity than the ones in this room. As with all things, dark suckers don't last forever. Once they are full of dark, they can no longer suck. This is proven by the black spot on a full dark sucker. A candle is a primitive dark sucker. A new candle has a white wick. You will notice that after the first use, the wick turns black, representing all of the dark that has been sucked into it. If you hold a pencil next to the wick of an operating candle, the tip will turn black because it got in the way of the dark flowing into the candle. Unfortunately, these primitive dark suckers have a very limited range. There are also portable dark suckers. The bulbs in these can't handle all of the dark by themselves, and must be aided by a dark storage unit. When the dark storage unit is full, it must either be emptied or replaced before the portable dark sucker can operate again.
Dark has mass. When dark goes into a dark sucker, friction from this mass generates heat. Thus, it is not wise to touch an operating dark sucker.
Candles present a special problem as the dark must travel into a solid wick instead of through glass. This generates a great amount of heat. Thus, it can be very dangerous to touch an operating candle. Dark is also heavier than light. If you swim just below the surface of a lake, you will see a lot of light. If you swim deeper and deeper, you notice it gets slowly darker and darker. When you reach the depth of approximately 50 feet, you are in total darkness. This is because the heavier dark sinks to the bottom of the lake, and the lighter light floats to the top. The immense power of dark can be utilized to man's advantage. We can collect the dark that has settled to the bottom of lakes and push it through turbines. This generates electricity and helps push dark to the ocean, where it can be safely stored.
Prior to turbines, it was much more difficult to get dark from the rivers and lakes to the ocean. The Indians recognized this problem and tried to solve it. When on a river in a canoe traveling in the same direction as the flow of the dark, they paddled slowly, so as not to stop the flow of dark. When they traveled against the flow of dark, they paddled quickly so as to help push the dark along its way.
Finally, we must prove that dark is faster than light. If you were to stand in an illuminated room in front of a closed, dark closet, then slowly open the closet door, you would see the light slowly enter the closet; but since the dark is so fast, you would not be able to see the dark leave the closet.
In conclusion, I would like to say that dark suckers make all our lives much easier. So the next time you look at an electric light bulb, remember that it is, indeed, a dark sucker.

Ainee
828428.  Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:37 am Reply with quote

I suspect that Pterry Pratchett explored this Qi theory in 'Thud!'...

Page 1 of 1