View previous topic | View next topic

tipping in restaurants

Page 1 of 6
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

somewhatattentive
754973.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote

Tipping in restaurants was mentioned on QI.

Zebra57
754985.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote

Hi and welcome

Jenny
754993.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote

Hi somewhat attentive and welcome. I'm sorry you were accidentally banned when you first registered. I think I probably looked at your link and decided you were a spammer. Sorry if I misunderstood your intention in posting that link.

FYI, we do have a thread in General Banter where people can post their blogs and websites.

IronMonkey
755169.  Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:

FYI, we do have a thread in General Banter where people can post their blogs and websites.

Abbreviations on a forum like this Jenny, you should be ashamed of yourself ;)

Jenny
755180.  Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote

Soz :-(

Actually I'm going to move this thread to Quite Interestrings, where it's better placed.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
755572.  Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote

In the US you must tip or else the waiters/waitresses will be after you.

monzac
755573.  Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote

G'day somewhatattentive :)

PhillyDave
755609.  Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote

Prof Wind Up Merchant wrote:

I once received what could only be described as appalling & rude service at a US restaurant, so I didn't tip. Somehow I left the restaurant feeling as if I was the one in the wrong. Why don't they simply add a % to the bill?

Dr. Know
755624.  Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote

Mr. Pink on tipping

soup
755679.  Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:28 am Reply with quote

PhillyDave wrote:
Prof Wind Up Merchant wrote:

I once received what could only be described as appalling & rude service at a US restaurant, so I didn't tip. Somehow I left the restaurant feeling as if I was the one in the wrong. Why don't they simply add a % to the bill?

So the people who serve you decide how much they should be tipped? I can be an extremely generous tipper, but if I feel they have delivered bad service they can go whistle. There is not the same culture in the UK regarding tipping as there is in, say, the US. If I have left no tip I do not feel guilty and certainly do not expect to be 'chased' and told "sir, you appear to have forgotten to tip" .

monzac
755681.  Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:36 am Reply with quote

Problem in USA is knowing exactly where and how much to tip.

Restaurants are clear cases and the rate seems to be agreed upon, but when my daughter took my grandson for a haircut, she was confused about whether to tip and how much. It was a children's hairdresser, so had toys on sale. Daughter bought one, then wavered over tipping, thinking that she'd already paid highly for cut and toy.

Dr. Know
755737.  Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:54 am Reply with quote

Arthur Smith was once on some talk show, saying that he went to America and had lunch in a restaurant, and paid his bill and got up to leave when the waiter accosted him, saying in a slightly panicked voice, "Was there anything wrong with your meal, sir?"
Smith replied "No, it was fine. Why?"
The waiter said, "Here in America we have something called a service charge, sir. It's an extra 15% on your bill."
Smith said, "Yeah, and in England we have something called a scrounging git." and left the restaurant.

RLDavies
755748.  Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:27 am Reply with quote

Part of the "must tip" mindset in the USA is that it's understood that waiters rely on tips to make up their pay to their official taxable wage -- often just to make it up to the minimum wage. So in the States it's not so much a bonus gift to reward excellent service, as it is actually paying for the service in the first place.

crissdee
755751.  Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote

Which rather begs the question, what are their wages paying for?

suze
755781.  Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:11 am Reply with quote

Some states of the union no longer allow wait staff to be paid below minimum wage on the basis that tips make up the difference.

Banning this practice seems to be mainly a western thing - CA, NV, OR, and WA are all among the states that don't allow it. In Canada, only Ontario and Québec allow wait staff to be paid below minimum wage; the rest of the country does what the western US does.

Rather shamefully, Britain allowed wait staff to be paid below minimum wage when the minimum wage was first introduced. But the law was changed last October, and Britain now falls in line with the western US and most of Canada.

Page 1 of 6
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next