6%  [ 2 ]
Meh...
38%
 38%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 31

Stefan Linnemann
73773.  Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:56 pm Reply with quote

[quote=Gray]AMERICAN DEMOCRACY [/quote]

There is no such thing, of course, the form of government of the Untidy States of North-America is "a mockery". That's defined as a two-party system where it doesn't make a difference whih "party" gets put in power.

And no, I'm not citing anyone else, this one's all mine.

Stefan.

brianl
73854.  Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote

‘Democracy’ originates from the Greek word demokratia. Its root meanings are demos, or people, and kratos, or rule. Simply put, democracy is a form of government in which the people rule.

The tricky bit is determining what constitutes 'people' and 'rule'. Of course no modern government is strictly speaking, democratic. The only real example are the Greek city-states, and then qualified by the limits on suffrage.

As an interesting aside, the word parliament is from the French parler (to speak) the oldest parliament is associated with the Isle of Mann (the Tynwald), dating from 979AD. The Icelandic Alþingi is older (930AD) but lacks a continuous history. Presumably they stopped for tea for a few decades,

sappho
125583.  Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote

Further to the above is that it actually worked. What did work in the ancient greek society were some of the democratic decisions that were made such as limiting the capacity of foriegner's to be come citizens of Athens etc.... They were too culturally exclussive.

Rome took the alturnative track and as a result thrived as they had the extra man power needed for defense and attack.

What ever the case. Democracy was limited only by the capacity of it's thinkers as are all political and social systems. But it worked and worked well in representing constituants.

As to the voting systems, why would not a pick one and only one, with that vote counting only as one vote without preferences, not work?

indigo fugit
133485.  Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:39 am Reply with quote

Colonel Krummhorn wrote:
Democracy is good, but it is also democracy that reduced 'Merry Christmas' to 'Happy Festive Season'.

Democracy is the worst of all worlds.

It is mob rule.

I am devising a system, which I will call ‘Benign Autocracy’ where everybody’s best friend rules.

I’ll get back to you when it is perfected

dr.bob
133498.  Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:06 am Reply with quote

sappho wrote:
Further to the above is that it actually worked. What did work in the ancient greek society were some of the democratic decisions that were made such as limiting the capacity of foriegner's to be come citizens of Athens etc.... They were too culturally exclussive.

I just realised I'm being taught about ancient greece by someone called Sappho and wondered if I'd slipped through a time rift or something :)

Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4