Yes
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 16

gibberingfool
50488.  Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:59 am Reply with quote

Some interesting Alan Davies links...

Clicky

Clicky II - (About 2/3rds of the way down in the left most column)

Clicky III

bobofel
50631.  Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:44 pm Reply with quote

hmmmmmm I was thinking more of famous scientists but that name seems to be cursed lol.

Good effort anyway.

(games on tape, I mean really!)

dr.bob
50846.  Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:33 am Reply with quote

I don't of any more Alan Davieses.

I do know that Bob Davies is the real name of the comedian Jasper Carrot.

Though that may or may not be quite interesting.

suze
50858.  Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:12 am Reply with quote

Well of course it is!

As it goes, I dated a Robert Davies in high school, but it wasn't the one who changed his name to Jasper Carrott. Now there's a fact that is totally not QI!

But it does link nicely with the recent discussion about Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, since Jasper Carrott owns most of Celador (the company who make the show) and has probably made rather more than a million out of it.

Celebaelin
50864.  Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote

Its a Brummie conspiracy I tells ye! Chris Tarrant was President of what was at that time known as High Hall at The University of Birmingham (its called Chamberlain Hall now IIRC). Before my time in High but some folk-lore still did the rounds.

I note from a quick Google that Chamberlain is now the only hall without unrestricted net access from all study bedrooms. Well wtf! What're we supposed to do? Use aldiss lamps? Semaphore? Harsh Language?

Jenny
50888.  Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:09 am Reply with quote

Jasper Carrott would probably be a great QI guest, but I guess he doesn't need the money enough to accept an invitation. Unless the prestige was enough, of course.

dr.bob
50910.  Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
I note from a quick Google that Chamberlain is now the only hall without unrestricted net access from all study bedrooms. Well wtf! What're we supposed to do? Use aldiss lamps? Semaphore?

No need. Just implement networking using carrier pigeons:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1149.html

tetsabb
50933.  Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Celebaelin wrote:
I note from a quick Google that Chamberlain is now the only hall without unrestricted net access from all study bedrooms. Well wtf! What're we supposed to do? Use aldiss lamps? Semaphore?

No need. Just implement networking using carrier pigeons:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1149.html

That has had me chuckling for ages, especially some of the comments and queries! Is it me, or did some folk take it seriously?

Celebaelin
50945.  Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote

*dreams*
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? with Michael Crawford and Alan Davies.

The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex with Alan Davies and Lara Flynn Boyle (I like it!)

dr.bob
51033.  Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:14 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
That has had me chuckling for ages, especially some of the comments and queries! Is it me, or did some folk take it seriously?

I dont think anyone took it seriously, but they could see the comic potential in making it look like a completely serious document.

There was another suggestion for transmission of information that absolutely had to be delivered no matter what. I think it involved a fleet of tanks with 1's and 0's painted on the sides.

I'm not sure what happened to that one though.

tetsabb
51155.  Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:21 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
tetsabb wrote:

I dont think anyone took it seriously, but they could see the comic potential in making it look like a completely serious document.

There was another suggestion for transmission of information that absolutely had to be delivered no matter what. I think it involved a fleet of tanks with 1's and 0's painted on the sides.

I'm not sure what happened to that one though.

Maybe they are still en route....

bobofel
51407.  Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:04 am Reply with quote

What if they get out of order or one gets shot?

mckeonj
51664.  Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:

Funny you should say that. When I was in the Home Guard (it's true, the HG was re-mustered in about 1954, during the Cold War), we were instructed in methods of transmitting information secretly in enemy occupied territory, with disguised post boxes and the like, one of these involved a householder pinning out washing to dry on the clothes-line, the sequence of white and non-white items spelling out a morse-coded message to the watchers in the hills. I kid you not.

tetsabb
51678.  Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:47 pm Reply with quote

Greying underwear or the wrong soap powder could have led to all kinds of miscommunication.

bobofel
51798.  Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:44 am Reply with quote

Its amazing how subtle communications can be. I saw a film where the arm a backpack was worn on decided a man's death.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next