View previous topic | View next topic

Disasters (not including Alan Davies)

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

bobofel
46824.  Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:59 am Reply with quote

Has anyone thought of a possible episode centred on disasters? Buzzers could include expolsions, 'OH, THE HUMANITY', crashes, bashes and even a quote from Alan Davies.

Many disasters would have myths about them and could include many quite interesting facts.

The supervolcano under yellowstone national park could be mentioned.

A program on disasters would, though, have to be carefully planned so as not to offend anyone.

Finally, let's play..........

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE!!!

Find the subtle changes between photo A:

http://www.arts.rpi.edu/~ruiz/Lessons/Photojournalism/S.%20Shere%20-%20hindenburg.jpg

And photo B:

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/paultavner/2004/11/10/manatee2.jpg

ENJOY!

Edit: I apologise in advance for that :)

Amie
46927.  Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:58 pm Reply with quote

Ooo I know, there isn't a catchphrase on the first one? Unless it's in the small print..

Otherwise must be a very subtle change..

tetsabb
46936.  Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:53 pm Reply with quote

One of the buzzer sounds would have to be Mr Fry saying, "Alan, Alan, Alan.." etc

Had no-one warned the manatee about the dangers of getting tooo close?

bobofel
46985.  Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:57 am Reply with quote

Obviously the manatee should have been filled with helium, not hydrogen, which is a noble gas and thus unreactive (as any sane person knows).

I pity the people on the ground though.

:)

gerontius grumpus
46997.  Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:17 am Reply with quote

Filling a manatee with Helium is a ridiculous suggestion.

It would make the manatee talk like Micky Mouse.

samivel
47064.  Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote

<laughs>

djgordy
47066.  Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:31 pm Reply with quote

Unfortunately Mickey Manatee and Donald Dugong were amongst Disney's less successful creations.

bobofel
47207.  Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:14 am Reply with quote

Well they've obviously popular because I've heard of them

Tas
47208.  Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 am Reply with quote

But you've never heard them, right?

:-)

Tas

bobofel
47255.  Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:36 am Reply with quote

no, thankfully

DELETED
47463.  Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote

DELETED

bobofel
47469.  Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote

Now that's a wonderful disaster for the series lol. Imagine having a house full of port!

This could be linked to what's his name's body being preserved in a barrel of some alcoholic beverage, I'm a bit sketchy on the details.

Celebaelin
47471.  Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote

There was a similar incident in the states
Quote:
The Boston Molasses Disaster (also known as the Great Molasses Flood or The Great Boston Molasses Tragedy) occurred on January 15, 1919, in the North End neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts. A large molasses (treacle) tank burst and a wave of molasses ran through the streets at an estimated 35 MPH (60 km/h), killing twenty-one and injuring 150 others. The event has entered local folklore, and residents claim that the area still sometimes smells of molasses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_molasses_disaster

Then there's Piper Alpha
Quote:
The Piper Alpha was a North Sea oil production platform operated by Occidental Petroleum (Caledonia) Ltd.[1] It produced around 10 percent of the then oil and gas production from the North Sea. The platform began production in 1976[2], first as an oil platform and then later converted to gas production. An explosion and resulting fire destroyed it on July 6, 1988, killing 167 men.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_Alpha
It's probably better if I don't make any comment but the Wiki account and others bear reading.

gerontius grumpus
47514.  Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:25 pm Reply with quote

bobofel wrote:
Now that's a wonderful disaster for the series lol. Imagine having a house full of port!

This could be linked to what's his name's body being preserved in a barrel of some alcoholic beverage, I'm a bit sketchy on the details.

Nelson's body was preserved in a barrel of brandy for transport back to England. Some of the brandy inevitably evaporated during the voyage,this led to rumours that sailors had been tapping off some of th 'Nelson liqueuer' and drinking it.

Incidentally,it was a vat of porter, a kind of dark beer, not port.

Celebaelin
47541.  Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote

Or it could be about Clarence(?) and the malmsey wine thing
Quote:
George Plantagenet, Duke of Clarence (21 October 1449 18 February 1478) was the third son of Richard Plantagenet, 3rd Duke of York, and Cecily Neville, and the younger brother of King Edward IV of England.

He played an important role in the dynastic struggle known as the Wars of the Roses, but is better remembered as the character in William Shakespeare's play Richard III who was drowned in a vat of Malmsey wine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George,_Duke_of_Clarence

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next