View previous topic | View next topic

Dickhead

Page 1 of 1

Feroluce
46785.  Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:48 am Reply with quote

It doesn't mean what you think it means ;-)

Quote:
In 1920s England, a slang term for head lice used to be 'dicks', so when a child would get head lice they would be called 'dickhead' by their peers.

So if I were to call you a dickhead, I wouldn't necessarily be insulting you, I could just be commenting on a possible infestation.

Quote:
Australian businessman Dick Smith managed to release a brand of matches under the name "Dickheads" (a pun on the Redheads brand of matches) to the Australian public with little controversy in 1999.

wikipedia

Natalie
46875.  Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote

One of our choir pieces was arranged by an Anthony Head.

I wonder if his brother Richard was musical.

djgordy
46876.  Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote

Natalie wrote:
One of our choir pieces was arranged by an Anthony Head.

The Buffy the Vampire Slayer chap?

AndyE
46946.  Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:26 pm Reply with quote

Well Mr Giles (aka Anthony Stuart Head) is certainly a musical type. If memory serves, he performed folk songs in smoky clubs in a couple of episodes of Buffy.

And of course his brother is Murray Head, best known for his early 80s hit One Night in Bangkok, from the musical Chess. It had never occurred to me to wonder if they were related, until Murray Head appeared on Heartbeat (he's a regular character now, playing Gina's art teacher boyfriend). Having not heard of Murray for 20 years, I was suddenly struck by how similar the two look, so I went to Google and discovered that they are indeed brothers.

Whether there is a third brother named Richard who can say. What I do know is that when I was growing up in Hertfordshire, the chief librarian at the Welwyn Garden City Public Library was called "Mr R Head" - I know, cos it said so on the door. Whether his name was Richard I never found out ...

I know there is a family somewhere near Aylesbury with Dick as their surname. They had some notoriety a few years back, because Mr and Mrs Dick saw fit to call their son Everard. And their daughter Ophelia ...

djgordy
46949.  Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:52 am Reply with quote

AndyE wrote:

And of course his brother is Murray Head, best known for his early 80s hit One Night in Bangkok, from the musical Chess. .

Murray Head was a great but sadly overlooked singer. For me his finest moment was 'Say It Ain't So Joe'.

mckeonj
46976.  Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:09 am Reply with quote

I was shown some swearing and insulting signs by a teacher of sign language, they included some universally used by speakers, and some developed by signers. I particularly liked the one for 'dickhead', in which the circled right hand is drawn forward from the forehead.
Resident elves; is there a typeable notation for sign language?
Something like the Benesh Dance notation?
Lets have a D topic on Deaf signs!

mckeonj
46982.  Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:46 am Reply with quote

Found the answer to one question here:
http://www.signwriting.org/

Jenny
46996.  Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:17 am Reply with quote

That one is an American site though, and ASL is quite different from BSL. My daughter is on her second year of signing classes, and she showed me a very good one for 'bullshit'. You cross your arms (right over left), and with your right hand lying on top of your left arm bend your second and third fingers under and raise your first and little fingers to make the bull's horns. You then let the fingers of your left hand dangle down and make a kind of sprinkling motion with them.

tetsabb
47001.  Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
AndyE wrote:

And of course his brother is Murray Head, best known for his early 80s hit One Night in Bangkok, from the musical Chess. .

Murray Head was a great but sadly overlooked singer. For me his finest moment was 'Say It Ain't So Joe'.

Murray sang the role of Judas on the original recording of 'Jesus Christ Superstar', with Ian Gillan of Deep Purple as JC himself.

Ah, obscure pop/rock facts of the 60s and 70s!

Page 1 of 1