View previous topic | View next topic

Kiwi Fruit

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Prof Wind Up Merchant
948105.  Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote

A fruit native to Southern China, also known as the Chinese Gooseberry.
From Wikipedia wrote:
Raw kiwifruit is also rich in the protein-dissolving enzyme actinidin

Posital
948125.  Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:23 am Reply with quote

The fruit changed its name as the result of a marketing campaign...

suze
948188.  Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote

For the benefit of the USA!

The name "Chinese gooseberry" was invented in New Zealand, which was the first country to start growing the things commercially. They've been grown in parts of China since time began, but a commercial gardener in Wanganui was the first to sell them into stores, in 1910.

Growers in New Zealand started to export the fruits around the world, but in 1952 the American rights holder complained that the word "Chinese" made them hard to sell in the USA. He asked the growers in New Zealand if it would be possible to switch to a Māori name, but the InnZidders came back with the name "kiwifruit", which was found acceptable.

New Zealand is by now only the fourth largest producer of these fruits, behind China, Italy, and Chile.

MinervaMoon
948227.  Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote

Anyone else eat the skin of the kiwi? Just me, then.

djgordy
948239.  Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote

Just you then.

suze
948261.  Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote

Looks like it.

Minerva, you really don't want to read this right now, so it's in white for you to read some other time.

Kiwifruits, together with almonds, rhubarb, sesame seeds, and spinach, are particularly high in calcium ethanedioate, which is the main mineral component of kidney stones. For this reason, persons with conditions of the gall bladder are often advised to avoid.

Efros
948266.  Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote

There's always this alternative that isn't hairy.

CB27
948268.  Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote

I love kiwi fruit, love sesame seeds (I'm always making tahina), am a fan of almonds and spinach.

I dread to think what's growing in me...

I'm interested to know why anyone would eat the skin of a kiwi fruit, I never tried it and was never tempted, is it a taste thing or something?

A quick look around suggest there are benefits, but that these are usually cancelled out by the pesticides used in growing the fruit, and the process of keeping them fresh for longer.

MinervaMoon
948281.  Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Looks like it.

Minerva, you really don't want to read this right now, so it's in white for you to read some other time.

Kiwifruits, together with almonds, rhubarb, sesame seeds, and spinach, are particularly high in calcium ethanedioate, which is the main mineral component of kidney stones. For this reason, persons with conditions of the gall bladder are often advised to avoid.

How was I supposed to resist that? Are kidney calculi necessarily correlated with gallstones? I don't know if that's the case. Calcium oxalate (ethanedioate) is in kidney stones but gallstones are more likely made of cholesterol.

When I was in the hospital two months ago or whatever, they actually think it was because of this concentrated kiwi smoothie I had drank that caused an inflammation in my duodenum. And kiwis were also the cause of chest-knife-stabbing acid reflux last year. So regardless of the fact that I'm having my gallbladder out tomorrow, I should probably avoid them -- though I probably won't.

CB27 wrote:
I'm interested to know why anyone would eat the skin of a kiwi fruit, I never tried it and was never tempted, is it a taste thing or something?

More of a "why not". People bite into apples without needing to remove the skin. You can consume the maximum amount of kiwi by eating them whole (though I don't think anyone eats the gnarly bit at one end).

CB27
948283.  Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote

I've accidentally eaten bits of a kiwi fruit skin on many occasions, but never liked the fuzzy texture.

No, doesn't say anything about other predilections I might have... :o

MinervaMoon
948329.  Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote

I have occasionally removed the bulk of the fuzz with some quick swipes of an apple peeler before eating. Then it's just bumpy, but not fuzzy. Nothing about my predilections either.

Posital
948415.  Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote

MinervaMoon wrote:
Anyone else eat the skin of the kiwi? Just me, then.
+1

'yorz
948419.  Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote

I've lived without a gallbladder since 1992, and never thought anything of eating kiwis, sometimes 3 or 4 on the trot.
No reflux or other botherings.

Re gallbladder outing: I was warned about eating fatty stuff like ice creams, cream in general etc. In the beginning I regurgitated a lot when eating such matters, but for many years I didn't have a problem at all. Can eat everything if the quantity remains within reason.

MinervaMoon
948426.  Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote

Pos - AW YISS.

'yorz - I'm back home with four holes in my body. They say not to eat things like fried foods for a few weeks, but then my body will start to adjust. Thanks for the info -- I'll be careful with ice creams and things.

'yorz
948427.  Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote

Welcome back home, MinervaMoon. :-)
Why 4 holes?! I had only 1 (keyhole surgery).

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next