View previous topic | View next topic

Drake's equation

Page 9 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

bobofel
55762.  Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote

How about a launch station in space, maintained and accessed through a space lift, a long strong fiber stretching from the earth to said space station along which lifts can travel. Ships could be propelled away from the station with minimal effort, due to effective lack of gravity, to a distance where the pulses can be fired.

dr.bob
55770.  Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:55 am Reply with quote

Great idea (though I think Arthur C Clarke got there before you).

Now just invent a "long strong fiber" and you're away :)

tetsabb
55782.  Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:17 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Great idea (though I think Arthur C Clarke got there before you).

The Fountains of Paradise by ACC certainly cover this concept. Though Sir Arthur does not claim to have invented it, but attributes it to a Leningrad engineer, Y N Artsutanov in an article in Komsomolskaya Pravda in 1960. Clarke says the concept was first presented in the West in a letter in Science magazine of 11th Feb 1966 by John D. Isaacs, Hugh Bradner and George E Backus.

Would it not have been wonderful if it had been George A Backus, and he had been a pathfinder in computing?

Celebaelin
55804.  Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:51 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Would it not have been wonderful if it had been George A Backus, and he had been a pathfinder in computing?

Maybe. Tell me why and I'll tell you if it's wonderful.

tetsabb
55816.  Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:53 pm Reply with quote

A Backus/Abacus/Computing??????

Trying a play on words... it really doesn't work when you explain them, does it?

<< Returns to drawing board

mckeonj
55829.  Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote

No, because abacus is a calculator, not a computer. A computer is a person, or a device, which uses a calculator.
That's my definition, so don't bother to check it.

bobofel
55940.  Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:19 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:

I read recently (in New Scientist I think) that scientists working with carbon nanotubes, wonderful thing that they are, have created a very long thin and durable fibre with them that was "one more step towards creating a space lift"

PaulCanRead
1194622.  Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:05 am Reply with quote

Our Milky Way galaxy is 100,000 light years in diameter. We have only been generating radio signals for about 100 years. Those signals will only have travelled about 0.1 percentage the distance to the other side of the galaxy.

If there are 10,000 planets in the Milky Way with intelligent life capable of receiving our radio signals, there should be such a planet within 1000 light years from us. In that scenario we might not receive a reply until the year 2100.

Another scenario is, if that if such a civilisation is several thousand, or even a million years old itself, they may have numerous probes in various parts of the galaxy. If a probe is within 100 light years from us, the civilisation may already know of our existence.

Page 9 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9