nitwit02
947492.  Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
And was voiced by Jay Leno.

Now, there's a chin to top the charts.

alai
947499.  Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I finally got around to watching the XL version of this last night. A tad ruder than normal, but not unacceptably so, I thought. I enjoyed Jack Whitehall a lot, especially the interaction between him and Stephen, and I hope he appears again. I don't know how often or for how long Cal Thomas is in the UK, but I hope we get her back in the next series too.

JW definitely upped the rudeness quotient, though that was pretty tame stuff by the standards of his other work. Amusingly, in line with a comment SF made, while the number of gay panelists was sharply reduced form last week, levels of camp definitely went up...

I was a little surprised to see CW back so soon, but pleasantly so. Maybe she's "breaking Britain"! (I mean comedicly. Not in a Chancellor of the Exchequer sort of way.)

djgordy
947509.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
And was voiced by Jay Leno. Also on the voice cast for the show was Adam West, who voiced a character called Catman.

One of the Crimson Chin episodes included my 2nd favourite "Fairly Odd Parents" line. "These are real cartoon people in real cartoon danger".

sally carr
947512.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote

Roger Ramjet had a big chin

zomgmouse
947513.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:14 am Reply with quote

What, no Bruce Campbell?
His autobiography is called If Chins Could Kill.

RLDavies
947553.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:50 am Reply with quote

alai wrote:
I was a little surprised to see CW back so soon, but pleasantly so. Maybe she's "breaking Britain"! (I mean comedicly. Not in a Chancellor of the Exchequer sort of way.)

I was a bit surprised too. I supposed they were making the most of her while she was available.

Neotenic
947556.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:55 am Reply with quote

Probably worth a double-check, but it's entirely possible that the two episodes were filmed on the same day.

eggshaped
947564.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:27 am Reply with quote

re chinstrap penguins, it's not a chin in the strictest sense of the word:

zomgmouse
947576.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:13 am Reply with quote

Some more flopping about on the webs led me to the Siamang, the female of which has a skull that looks something like this (linked for size).
Is that a mental protuberance I see before me?

The Siamang also looks Quite Interesting for that throat pouch it has.

Celebaelin
947584.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Mandibular prognathism (progenism)

Pathologic mandibular prognathism is a potentially disfiguring, genetic disorder where the lower jaw outgrows the upper, resulting in an extended chin.

The condition is colloquially known as Habsburg jaw, Habsburg lip or Austrian Lip (see House of Habsburg) due to its prevalence in that bloodline.[4] The trait is easily traceable in portraits of Habsburg family members.[5] This has provided tools for people interested in studying genetics and pedigree analysis. Most instances are considered polygenetic.[6]

It is alleged to have been derived through a female from the princely Polish family of Piasts, its Masovian branch. The deformation of lips is clearly visible on tomb sculptures of Mazovian Piasts in the St. John's Cathedral in Warsaw. However this may be, there exists evidence that the trait is longstanding. It is perhaps first observed in Maximilian I (14591519).

Traits such as these that were common to royal families are believed to have been passed on and exaggerated over time through royal intermarriage which caused acute inbreeding. Due to the large amount of politically motivated intermarriage among Habsburgs, the dynasty was virtually unparalleled in the degree of its inbreeding. Charles II of Spain is said to have had the most pronounced case of the Habsburg jaw on record. His jaw was so deformed that he was unable to chew.

Many dog breeds have underbite, particularly those with short faces, like Shih Tzus and Boxers. This may be due, as in the case of bulldogs, to a slower growing maxilla in relation to the mandible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prognathism#Mandibular_prognathism_.28progenism.29

Quote:
Prognathia (undershot, or monkey or sow mouth in horses) is found when the mandible is longer than the maxilla. It is identified on oral examination by finding the mandibular incisors in contact with or rostral to the maxillary incisors. In brachycephalic dogs and Persian cats, it is considered a normal breed characteristic. Despite being seen to varying degrees, it rarely requires any specific treatment. If a foal is badly affected, suckling may be impossible; treatment, if feasible, consists of rasping or shearing the offending points and projections. In ruminants, it is often seen, to minor degrees, at birth, and it corrects spontaneously as the animal grows. More severe anomalies can impair the ability to graze and masticate and, therefore, have more serious repercussions.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/20202.htm

So while most cats may not normally have chins acromegalic (Mandibular prognathic) cats (Persians), and indeed some dog breeds, do. Where's my badge?

RLDavies
947600.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote

I'd say (along with Merck) that prognathism is an overgrown mandible. In humans, a chin is already present and enlarges along with the rest of the jaw.

djgordy
947609.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
re chinstrap penguins, it's not a chin in the strictest sense of the word:

I was using it in the unstrict sense of the word in order to blag a badge. Also, the term "strictest sense of the word" did not appear in your original offer!

alai
947678.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
So while most cats may not normally have chins acromegalic (Mandibular prognathic) cats (Persians), and indeed some dog breeds, do. Where's my badge?

I didn't know that feline acromegaly was a thing. I imagine a handy diagnostic tip would be that if you [s]own[/s] staff for a decent-sized Maine Coon, if your neighbours are cowering indoors and urgently phoning the cryptozoologists.

Celebaelin
947741.  Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote

I say I say I say my cat's got no chin.
Your cat's got no chin? How's its Jay Leno impersonation?
Surprisingly good.

14-11-2014
1169932.  Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Loved the baby Strandbeest!

I hadn't realized how minimal the range of building materials was - as I recall, little more than plastic tubes and plastic bottles form all the structure, joints and mechanisms.

Little more: the engine, its sails. The performance also is minimal. During the winter the animals will migrate, for example, on top of a car. If the construction could detect QI's water, then it wouldn't have to count steps and the engineer wouldn't have to live near the beach to rescue his animals. Nevertheless, since QI was broadcasted, one of the evolution efforts was to try to use waves to return to the beach.

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next