View previous topic | View next topic

Series J, Episode 6: Joints

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

CB27
946873.  Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:06 am Reply with quote

Yeah, she famously has a weak chin, but I don't get Brad Pitt being there.

RLDavies
946908.  Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:24 am Reply with quote

Sophia who?

And I've suddenly realised just how uncomfortable I feel when confronted with a whole wall of faces. Very squirmy.

Strawberry
946909.  Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:27 am Reply with quote

Sophia Loren.

Edit: Also, it mentions on her Wikipedia page that during a World War 2 raid, she was struck by shrapnel and hit in the chin.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
946969.  Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
Lower jaw.

Also, another point was raised: what about people with inward-sloping jaws? Do they just not have chins?

What I meant is that part of the lower jaw.

zomgmouse
947083.  Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote

In that case, as CB mentioned in the other thread, it's the mental protuberance.

eggshaped
947155.  Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote

We started this question from the point of view that humans were the only animals with chins, but then we looked at a lot of skulls and noticed that elephants had them too. So there could well be more chins out there, just we can't find any.

There's an "I outsmarted the QI elves" badge for the first person to find another animal with a clear chin!

Ian Dunn
947156.  Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:46 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
There's an "I outsmarted the QI elves" badge for the first person to find another animal with a clear chin!

But in the show Stephen said that humans and elephants were the only mammals with chins. Do other classes of animals have chins like insects?

Celebaelin
947173.  Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:14 am Reply with quote

I give you...

... a cat with acromegaly which must surely mean that cats do have chins? Certainly cats with acromegaly do!

Prognathism is one of the symptoms of acromegaly; I can't find a specific reference, not that I've tried very hard, but mandibular prognathism is more likely as the cartilagenous element (from which growth occurs) of the lower jaw persists longer.

A cat with acromegaly goes into a bar...

djgordy
947178.  Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote

Chinstrap penguin. It must have a chin, otherwise it wouldn't need a strap for it.

www.siec.k12.in.us/west/proj/penguins/chinstrap.html

Japanese chin spaniel. It's whole body is a chin.

www.japanesechinclub.co.uk

Photobucket are changing their site and I can seem to link to any photos at the moment.

Last edited by djgordy on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Strawberry
947180.  Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:55 am Reply with quote

Chin monkey.

Jenny
947269.  Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote

I finally got around to watching the XL version of this last night. A tad ruder than normal, but not unacceptably so, I thought. I enjoyed Jack Whitehall a lot, especially the interaction between him and Stephen, and I hope he appears again. I don't know how often or for how long Cal Thomas is in the UK, but I hope we get her back in the next series too.

'yorz
947275.  Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote

A monkey with a trout pout?! What next...

Strawberry
947276.  Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote

A trout with a monkey pout? :P

zomgmouse
947341.  Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
... a cat with acromegaly which must surely mean that cats do have chins? Certainly cats with acromegaly do!

Cats in general don't; I've just looked at their skull. As for acromegaly, surely if their jaw is forward that doesn't mean that they necessarily have this mental protuberance, at least not in the non-slang sense?

I've also been doing a bit of digging around, and found that ungulates have two sets of teeth, and that the frontmost seems to be on a sort of chin.
E.g. horse:

Turns out, they don't have "two sets of teeth", but simply an "interdental space", which is pure gum and no teeth grow there. So the place where the "chin" is is just the end of the jaw. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited by zomgmouse on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total

djgordy
947380.  Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:55 am Reply with quote

Anway, back to the chinstrap penguin.....

Quote:
In contrast to other adult penguins, apart from Royal Penguins, this species has a white face. This is separated from the white belly by a thin dark line running under the lower part of the chin

www.penguinworld.com/types/chinstrap.html

Quote:

They got their name from the thin curved line of black feathers running under the chin.

www.siec.k12.in.us/west/proj/penguins/chinstrap.html

Quote:
Chinstrap penguins get their name from the small black band that runs under their chin.

www.kidzone.ws/animals/penguins/facts13.htm

I think those are fairly conclusive!

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next