View previous topic | View next topic

Series J, Episode 6: Joints

Page 2 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Celebaelin
946349.  Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote

I enjoyed both versions again but like gg I can't help but think that there was more to be said about joints than made it onto the show. A third of the way through the run I am in truth starting to feel a little uneasy that the J series hasn't delivered to the usual expected high standard.

mckeonj
946355.  Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote

Wooden ships have knees.

coldalarm
946423.  Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:44 am Reply with quote

I quite enjoyed the XL, truth be told. I did get fed up with Jimmy Carr just having to make dirty quips, though. Jack Whitehall was pretty good - he seems fairly reasonable when he's not doing his stand-up, though he did perhaps get a bit "bitchy" during the discussion of skull shapes and so-on. Cal Wilson? No complaints.

Fairly interesting, but like Celebaelin above, I felt there wasn't particularly all that much about joints, and those we did have were more about 'animal' joints than any others.

Ian Dunn
946425.  Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:12 am Reply with quote

Jimmy Carr did make one mistake on this show, because he does have a lizard in his trousers. As has been mentioned before on QI, "Lizard" was Ancient Greek slang for "Penis".

zomgmouse
946430.  Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote

I told some people the chin fact, and they raised a question about whether other primates have chins.
Do they?

CB27
946440.  Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:12 am Reply with quote

It's a fact that's shown in a number of places, but the idea that it helps with the muscles of the lips is wrong becuse many animals (especially primates) can manipulate their lips without a chin.

I think it's more to do with the fact that humans and elephants have skulls which are not prognathic like most mammals, so I think a chin developed to support the jaw better.

Efros
946442.  Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:27 am Reply with quote

Met a few prognathic people in my time. According to Connolly they have to wear a hat when it rains to stop them drowning.

zomgmouse
946447.  Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:17 am Reply with quote

Gorilla skull top left, human skull bottom right. What counts as a chin? Does it necessarily have to be sharp?

Efros
946450.  Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:22 am Reply with quote

5 must be the house of Windsor.

zomgmouse
946452.  Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:33 am Reply with quote

Wikipedia has it as the Steinheim skull.

djgordy
946456.  Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:49 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
Jimmy Carr did make one mistake on this show, because he does have a lizard in his trousers. As has been mentioned before on QI, "Lizard" was Ancient Greek slang for "Penis".

Jimmy Carr has probably taken his lizard out of his pants and deposited it in a tax haven.

clack
946465.  Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote

Good episode.

Jack Whitehall brought a new dynamic to the panel. He was amusing, and the flirty chemistry he had with Stephen was cute.

Cal, if she is to be a regular, is destined to become a middling one, I believe. Neither "Oh no, it's Cal again" nor "Oh good, it's going to be a Cal episode".

As for the topics, I'm liking the greater reliance this series and the previous one have been placing on props. The red dot exercises were maybe not the most visually compelling use of props, but they did give some structure to that whole "guess where the knees are" topic, which might have been deadly otherwise.

djgordy
946473.  Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote

clack wrote:

Jack Whitehall brought a new dynamic to the panel. He was amusing, and the flirty chemistry he had with Stephen was cute.

I don't really like him. He does a lot of this "blah blah blah 'Made in Chelsea' blah blah blah", "blah blah blah, 'TOWIE' blah blah blah". Yes, we get it, people on reality TV shows are twats. We managed to work that out for ourselves, we don't need you come and tell us. Oh look, now you've told us that Bono has his head up his own arse. Yes, we also worked that out for ourselves, we don't need you to tell us about it.

Bondee
946483.  Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote

I don't usually like Jack Whitehall either. He seems to me to be one of those, like, comedians who's, like, really, like, popular, with, like, students, roiight! But this episode was the first time that I hadn't screamed at the tv whenever he opened he mouth. I think he did really well, and I'd be more than happy to see him on the panel again.

Efros
946486.  Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote

Normally Whitehall doesn't faze me but I did think he was funny in this one, his Bono comment, seemed to be from the heart, which I have sympathy for, the comment and the manner in which it was said. Made me laugh anyway.

Page 2 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next