View previous topic | View next topic

K-slip

Page 1 of 1

tetsabb
944327.  Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote

The carriageways on English motorways are mainly identified by the letters A and B. As a general rule, the one going away from London is the A, and going back is the B. (The M25 is A clockwise, B anti-clock)
Each junction has slip roads on and off, most frequently one of each on each carriageway. These are identified by the letters J,K,L,M
So if you are going down the M3 towards Basingstoke at J6, and see a crash on that off slip, we would refer to it as the Juliet Slip.
Likewise, if you left Gatwick and headed onto the M23 to go to Brighton, you would find yourself on the Kilo.

Not all junctions and motorways are so convenient- the whole of the M26, for example, is considered to be slips on and off the M20 -- which makes the mnemonic easier -- Kent bound and London bound.
And J12/12A of the M5 near Gloucester has a Z slip, presumably to avoid confusion.

There are little white posts every 100 metres that count up or down to give an fairly exact location. Every 1500 metres or so there are additional locators --
Hence, if you are on a motorway and see a blue board reading
M1 A
this tells me you are 65.4 km up the M1, going away from London headng Northbound.
The SOS boxes reflect the same nmbering system -- 4500A is on the M25, 50 km from Dartford, clockwise, and it has a friend opposite, 4500B.
Much more exact than people calling on mobiles and saying that they saw something 3 miles back, and I think we have just gone past J8, or was it 7?

Jenny
944330.  Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote

Now that is really interesting - a piece of info I didn't know. Thanks tets.

Posital
944357.  Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote

Or pressing a button on the waze app, so any other users can instantly see what's going on.

(Obviously, get your passenger to do it.)

But interesting nonetheless...

tetsabb
944361.  Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote

What the hell is a 'waze app'?
[/old git mode]

Efros
944370.  Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote

waze dot com will answer your question.

Page 1 of 1