View previous topic | View next topic

Karandash

Page 1 of 1

mckeonj
943690.  Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote

Карандаш (karandash) is the Russian word for pencil.
Quite Interesting etymology:
Czar Nicholas introduced Western modes and manners into Russia; attempting to drag the Russians into the twentieth century. As part of this process, western goods began to appear in the shops. Things like zip fasteners, fountain pens, pencils; things that had no Russian names, so the Russians referred to them by their trade names, which had been helpfully printed in cyrillic letters.
So the 'Lightning' Zip fastener was named Молния (molnya), and a pencil Карандаш, from a well known French make of coloured pencils - Caran d'Ache.

<edited by Jenny to make sense of the thread-header>

'yorz
943692.  Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote

Something went pearshaped with the thread title?
But that's qi indeed.
Apparently there are a number of nautical words in Russia that originate from Dutch. Peter took them home with him.

Last edited by 'yorz on Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

mckeonj
943693.  Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote

Could not handle Cyrillic, apparently - suze - HELP!

suze
943717.  Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote

I seem to remember this issue coming up before.

I don't know why, but non-ASCII characters (such as Cyrillic letters) don't work in thread titles, even though they display just fine in the body of a post.

Tas
943812.  Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote

Caran d'Ache is a Swiss company, I think you will find.

(I work in a very well known Knightsbridge establishment vending said company's writing implements, amongst others).

:-)

mckeonj
943876.  Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote

.....but 'Caran d'Ache' was a Frenchman.
Anyway, I found this amusing:
Quote:
Caran d'Ache was the pseudonym of the 19th century French satirist and political cartoonist Emmanuel Poiré (1858-1909). "Caran d'Ache" comes from the Russian word karandash, meaning pencil (of Turkic origin; "karadash" meaning black stone — used for writing on a "karatash" meaning black slate). While his first work glorified the Napoleonic era, he went on to create "stories without words" and as a contributor to newspapers such as the Lundi du Figaro, he is sometimes hailed as one of the precursors of comic strips. The Swiss art products company Caran d'Ache is named after him.

I appear to have gone round in a circle, my only defense is that I was told the 'Caran d'Ache' thing by my Russian teacher back in the dear old JSSL.

Tas
943881.  Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote

It IS an interesting story, no matter the company's country of origin :-)

mckeonj
943944.  Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:24 am Reply with quote

Cossacks
An example of the superb decorative draughtsmanship of 'Caran d'Ache' (Emmanuel Poirée), who was born in Moscow of French parentage.
He was also a pioneer cartoonist in the modern linear style.

Webster100
944083.  Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Caran d'Ache was the pseudonym of the 19th century French satirist and political cartoonist Emmanuel Poiré (1858-1909). "Caran d'Ache" comes from the Russian word karandash, meaning pencil (of Turkic origin; "karadash" meaning black stone — used for writing on a "karatash" meaning black slate). While his first work glorified the Napoleonic era, he went on to create "stories without words" and as a contributor to newspapers such as the Lundi du Figaro, he is sometimes hailed as one of the precursors of comic strips. The Swiss art products company Caran d'Ache is named after him.

The wiki article for the Karakoram Mountain Range says that karakoram is a Turkic word for "black gravel." So maybe this word has entered English multiple times, with slightly different pronunciations and spellings each time?

Tas
944218.  Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote

Or perhaps 'dash' is stone and 'koram' is gravel?

:-)

Page 1 of 1