View previous topic | View next topic

Kudos

Page 1 of 1

djgordy
943213.  Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote

Kudos derives from κῦδος, a Greek word meaning "glory". In English it is used to praise someone for an exceptional achievement.

I give kudos to this man.

M. Thomas Stevens. The first man to travel around the world on a bicycle. Not only on a bicycle but an "ordinary bicycle" (aka a penny farthing).

Oops. wrong penny farthing. Try again.

www.bicycle-and-bikes.com/thomas-stevens-penny-farthing.html

Posital
943224.  Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote

Try this for size... I wouldn't want to hit the brakes...

CB27
943254.  Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote

For those that didn't make it to London Nocturne in June (which is brilliant), I understand the London Bike Show in January will stage a similar event, where there are several different races, including Penny Farthings, and there are races in other places in the UK and around the world (including Tasmania):

djgordy
943327.  Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote

They are quite cool and I was thinking of buying myself one; not a full sized one though. Anyway, this thread is "kudos" as it is a long time before we hit the "U" for "unsung heroes" pages.

CB27
943471.  Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote

You want Kudos? I'll give you two:

Only one US Vice President has ever had a number one pop single, do you know who it is?

It is this man:
His name is Charles G Dawes, and he was Vice President to Calvin Coolige between 1925 and 1929.

He wrote a piece of music in 1911 called Melody in A Major, and his friend took the sheet music from his piano and gave it to a publisher and it became quite popular.

A few weeks after Dawes died, in 1951, Carl Sigman wrote some lyrics and decided to use a melody he knew and liked, and the song became known as "It's All in the Game", which has been covered by lots of singers and groups over the years, and became a number 1 both in the US and UK for Tommy Edwards, as well as turning up in the top 10 several times for various people like Cliff Richards and the Four Tops.

And now for the second kudos, who is the only Nobel Peace Prize winner to have had a number one pop single?

He won the prize for chairing a committee in 1924 to solve the reparations problems that came out of the end of WWI, his conditions included removal of allied troops and allowing Germany to start off with lower payments, which allowed their economy to grow in the mid 20s. Unfortunately it was dependent on US investments, and the Wall Street Crash led to a collapse in later years.

The plan became known as the Dawes Plan, and who was it that won the Nobel Peace Prize for introducing it?

Charles G Dawes.

And for any eagle eyed viewers, I did look him up after a brief mention of him in Pointless :)

Posital
943697.  Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote

I took a picture of a penny-farthing outside the village of Sissinghurst yesterday - it was made to commemorate the passing of the Tour de France through said village.

Unfortunately, I lost the photo so I can't post it.

djgordy
943826.  Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote

Kudos also go to Klaus Voormann; who could be a K topic on his own or in a thread with other Klauses. Anyway, Klaus Voormann is probably most famous for designing this album sleeve:

but he also did these

the covers for the "Anthology" series which appear to be torn up photographs but are really paintings

and this

He aslo played bass on John Lennon's "Imagine", Lou Reed's "Transformer" and others.

Some people just make you want to spit!

Webster100
944086.  Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote

Kudos to YOU, CB27! That was some really great information.

Delicious, delicious kudos.

Page 1 of 1