View previous topic | View next topic

Kool-Aid

Page 1 of 1

Webster100
942813.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote

A couple of facts about Kool-Aid;

Kool-Aid was invented in Hastings, Nebraska in 1927. (It's predecessor was a fruit-drink concentrate called Fruit Smack.) Hastings celebrates annual Kool-Aid days each summer, and Nebraska named Kool-Aid its state drink for its connection to the state.

Kool-Aid is owned by Kraft (another K!). In 2011, Kraft started spending most of Kool-Aid's marketing budget to reach Latinos.

At the 2011 San Diego county fair, a group of culinary geniuses unveiled "deep fried Kool-Aid."

(all facts cited to outside sources on wiki)

Last edited by Webster100 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Webster100
942814.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote

Q: What poisoned drink did suicidal cult members imbibe at Jonestown?

K: Kool-Aid

A: Flavor-Aid

There do seem to be a few sources that suggest that there was a little Kool-Aid there too. But for the most part, it seems to be unclear if these are simply using the term Kool-Aid in a generic sense for any powdered drink.

tetsabb
942817.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote

Let us not forget this, of course. Required reading for some of us d'un certain age

Webster100
943013.  Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote

Haha, yup. I thought about posting that, but I didn't have that awesome picture. I'm glad you did.

MinervaMoon
943017.  Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote

Did you all the world over have the amazing "OH YEAAAAAAH!" commercials?

As parodied by Dane Cook:
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/809784/

Moosh
943024.  Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:34 am Reply with quote

Not in the UK, but then I'm not sure Kool-Aid is even sold here.

We also don't have Dane Cook ;)

Starfish13
943028.  Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:50 am Reply with quote

I've never had Kool-aid, but there was something I think would be similar that we had in Scotland called Creamola Foam. Basically sugar, food colouring, citric acid and bicarbonate of soda, that you mixed with cold water to make a fizzy drink. They stopped producing it in the late 90s.

A Scottish sweetshop recently started producing a substitute called Krakatoa, which is similar enough to what I remember the original to taste like.

My sister sent me a "care parcel" recently containing a tub of Krakatoa with all the stuff that can't be bought in shops down here, like rowies, tattie scones, tablet and a lucky tattie.

suze
943134.  Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote

Moosh wrote:
Not in the UK, but then I'm not sure Kool-Aid is even sold here.

I've only seen it in stores which serve the North American expat market - of which there are several in London, but probably not many elsewhere.

Apparently a few larger Tesco stores stock it, but I've not seen it.

Efros
943147.  Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote

Starfish13 wrote:
I've never had Kool-aid, but there was something I think would be similar that we had in Scotland called Creamola Foam. Basically sugar, food colouring, citric acid and bicarbonate of soda, that you mixed with cold water to make a fizzy drink. They stopped producing it in the late 90s.

A Scottish sweetshop recently started producing a substitute called Krakatoa, which is similar enough to what I remember the original to taste like.

My sister sent me a "care parcel" recently containing a tub of Krakatoa with all the stuff that can't be bought in shops down here, like rowies, tattie scones, tablet and a lucky tattie.

QI, saponins which are the additives used to give the foam some structure in Creamola Foam are actually piscicides and saponins are used by some people in Guyana and a few other places around the world to harvest fish. Yucca was a popular source of these largely illegal fishing aids.

mckeonj
943189.  Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
QI, saponins which are the additives used to give the foam some structure in Creamola Foam are actually piscicides and saponins are used by some people in Guyana and a few other places around the world to harvest fish. Yucca was a popular source of these largely illegal fishing aids.

We in Ireland tend to use cyanide or dynamite as illegal fishing aids.
Which reminds me to enter Kieselguhr as a K topic.

Page 1 of 1