View previous topic | View next topic

John o' Groats

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

alai
947530.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:45 am Reply with quote

WordLover wrote:
Loch na Davie on Arran is exactly that unusual phenomenon. It is on a watershed and has an outflow each side. Iorsa Water flows southwest and meets the sea at Dougrie (also spelt Dougarie). Easan Biorach flows north and meets the sea at Lochranza.

Intriguing! Not the best-documented phenomenon... I did find articles on the German (and only on the German!) Wikipedia, for the loch and each burn, and the following trip report:

Verbal@www.scottishhills.com wrote:
It was a disappointment to say the least, no bigger than a small swimming pool and no deeper than a knee, it did'nt look as if it was draining in either direction, more a stagnant pool in a inhospitable glen. We did see a pair of of golden eagle on the way back, so not all wasted and I`ll never forget Loch na Davie, even if its a warning in my soul never to return

I only hope they weren't actually buzzards. :)

WordLover wrote:
My instinct is to say no, because the water is not all at the same level.

That seems reasonable to me. I'm also a little sketchy about the islandosity of some relatively large pieces of land where they're set off by relatively shallow and narrow tidal straits, but I might have to file them under "very nasty, but we can't touch you for it".

WordLover
947591.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote

Not much of a lake, then.

I thought I had found a better example in the enticingly named Two Ocean Lake in Grand Teton National Park, in Wyoming. Unfortunately, it isn't; it's on the Pacific side of the watershed. However, not far to the north-east is Two Ocean Pass, which contains North Two Ocean Creek, a river which is hydrologically interesting in that it splits into two distributaries, one of which flows into the Atlantic, and one into the Pacific.

alai
947603.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote

That's the case I was referring to in my post of Oct 18. :)

WordLover
948422.  Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote

alai wrote:
It's not hydrologically stable for a lake (sorry, I mean, loch!) to have two independent outflows on either side of a watershed, so in theory a landmass should "never" be subdivided by water in such a manner. (Though I understand that hydrologists consider the Great Lakes a small temporary glacier meltwater phenomenon, so "not stable" may be a somewhat relative concept.)

Though... there is a small amount of water that straddles the "continental divide" in North America, which is otherwise a more striking largescale watershed than most. Does that split the continent into two smaller (though both honkingly large) "islands"? It's a more contiguous "body" of water than the Scottish case, though at its height it's only inches deep.
If you're prepared to regard a landmass which is surrounded by natural water to be an island even if that water is not all at the same level (because some of it is rivers), then how about the island which is a north-eastern part of Brazil, an eastern part of Venezuela, and the Guyanas and Suriname. It is bounded by the South Atlantic, the Guainía, the Negro, the Amazon, the Orinoco and the Casiquiare Canal. This last is not a canal, but a distributary of the Orinoco: it branches off to the left/SW, a little to the west of La Esmeralda, Amazonas, Venezuela, taking a small part of the Orinoco's flow. Then, after acquiring the flow of a few tributaries of its own, it joins the Guainía at Chapazon, Venezuela, which in turn flows into the Negro, which flows into the Amazon.

Butterfish
950885.  Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Having a look at Google maps the Northern part of Mainland Scotland North West of Loch Ness appears to be an Island.
Between Fort William and Inverness is a continuous waterway including Loch Ness and Loch Lochy via Fort Augustus. This forms a line. The North West of it is an Island.

You can't always rely on Google Maps - the Caledonian Canal is carried by at least two aqueducts, so the Northernmost part of Scotland isn't cut off at all.

That part of the country is remote enough as it is without adding island status. And I speak as someone who lived in that part of Scotland for 13 years.

Jenny
950890.  Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for that nice piece of info, Butterfish :-)

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3