View previous topic | View next topic

John o' Groats

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Butterfish
942172.  Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote

Despite what Stephen Fry said in the 'Journeys' episode, John o' Groats has never claimed to be the most northernly point on the British mainland; Dunnet Head is only 15 miles away so that claim whouldn't last long. The claim is that the 'last house' is situated there.

In much the same way, Land's End isn't the most southernly point, which might have won points for someone.

Posital
942186.  Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote

Butterfish wrote:
In much the same way, Land's End isn't the most southernly point, which might have won points for someone.
Westerly - shurely...

'yorz
942191.  Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote

nitpicker :-)

suze
942192.  Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote

Not that either. The most southerly point of the British mainland is Lizard Point, while Land's End is indeed the most westerly point of the English mainland.

The most westerly point of the British mainland is at Corrachadh Mr in Ardnamurchan. That's a particularly remote part of Scotland; Corrachadh Mr is about forty miles west of Fort William.

alai
942463.  Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote

I think what they're each really appealing to is being the northeasterly and southwesterly extreme points(*), on the "long diagonal" of the island. That's not quite so snappy sounding, though...

(Or settlement. Duncansby Head if you want the actual NE extremum, of course.)

suze
942466.  Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote

On that sort of fairly casual basis, I suppose the other diagonal would run from North Foreland near Ramsgate to Cape Wrath. You don't often hear of people making that journey in interesting ways, though.

alai
942472.  Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote

I wouldn't say it was casual; the intercardinal extrema are perfectly well-defined. (I'm not 100% guaranteeing that those are the places that that defines them as, mind you!)

I found a page describing a trip to all eight "compass rose" points...http://www.8pointsbritain.com/introduction-to-the-walk.html. That person reckons SEly point is either South Foreland or Dungeness. (I'd try to google-maps it, but there's practically steam coming out of my decrepit laptop as it is.)

Posital
942725.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Not that either.
Are you saying it's not "Not the most westerly point"?

You're so wrong suze.

suze
942730.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote

Oh, I'm so right!

Land's End absolutely is the most westerly point of the English mainland. But not of the British mainland - it is beaten to that distinction by the place in Scotland which I describe.

exnihilo
942737.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote

Ahem, double negatives alert.

If Land's End is not not the most westerly point then it is the most westerly point. Which it's not.

So Posital's right, that that's wrong.

And you're right that Land's End is wrong.

Is that right?

suze
942741.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote

Ah, perhaps I should have read Posital's post properly!

I fear that I may be banged to rights here. Or wrongs, very possibly.

Efros
942749.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote

Dr Syntax's Head, there is reference to this as the most westerly point of mainland England but it seems to be a part of Land's End.

tetsabb
942798.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I fear that I may be banged to rights here. Or wrongs, very possibly.

Errrr..... 'banged to rights'?

I know I am sometimes criticized for seeing smut where none was intended.....

suze
942932.  Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote

Hmmm. I can't say that I've written that expression down very many times in my life, but I could have sworn that it was banged. But now that I've looked it up it isn't of course; it's bang.

Which makes it the second time today that I've encountered the word bang. I heard a girl at school earlier complaing that something (I know not what) "was bang", which appears to mean that she considered it unacceptable.

Now then, Dr Syntax's Head. It does indeed seem to be the precise promontory at Land's End which is the westernmost point of England, and is so named because a C19 fictional character called Dr Syntax had an exceptionally pointy chin. Jimmy Hill has nothing on Dr Syntax.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
945400.  Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote

Having a look at Google maps the Northern part of Mainland Scotland North West of Loch Ness appears to be an Island.
Between Fort William and Inverness is a continuous waterway including Loch Ness and Loch Lochy via Fort Augustus. This forms a line. The North West of it is an Island.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next