View previous topic | View next topic

K-games, sports and pastimes

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Webster100
942455.  Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote

For those with a daring side, there's always knife-throwing.

dr bartolo
942513.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote

Let's not forget karn÷ffel the world's oldest card game
The rules to this game was long thought to have been lost, and it's rules never to be recovered, till rather surprisingly, a derivitave of the game, Kaiserjass was discovered to be played in a canton of switzerland, thus allowing a reasonably good reconstruction to be made
http://www.pagat.com/karnoeff/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karn%C3%B6ffel

suze
942619.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote

When I read that, I was confidently expecting that Kaiserjass would be a variant form of Klaberjass, but with the King (Kaiser) taking over the position that the nine holds in Klaberjass. (Jass is the Dutch and Yiddish word for the Jack; in Klaberjass it ranks as the highest trump, with the nine next highest. Klaber refers to the Clubs suit, although in fact the Clubs don't hold any special powers in the game.)

Klaberjass is one of those games which has slightly different rules (and slightly different names - Klaverjass, Kalabriasz, etc) everywhere that it's played. It is most popular in the Netherlands, where it is a game for four players, and traditionally among Central European Jewry (and more widely especially in Hungary), where it is a game for two players. In both cases, the deck is of 32 cards.

But it isn't. Kaiserjass is an entirely different game, played with the unique Swiss 36-card deck which has two Jacks in each suit.

Bondee
942623.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote

KerPlunk!

Spud McLaren
942634.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote

I remember going to my grandparents' house when young, and being fascinated by the wrestling programmes (they had a TV, we didn't at the time). One episode I distinctly remember was the unmasking of the original Kendo Nagasaki, as portrayed by Peter Thornley. What I didn't know was that several others have taken the name* and style of dress since.

* or something very similar.

dr bartolo
942694.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:

But it isn't. Kaiserjass is an entirely different game, played with the unique Swiss 36-card deck which has two Jacks in each suit.

If I'm not wrong, the kaiserjass which is the descendant form karn÷ffel is not played with 36 cards, but with a special 48 card deck. However, it is true that the game is distinct form other jass games

Quote:
Four suits, Shields, Flowers, Bells and Acorns, each containing 10 cards: King, Ober, Under, 7,6,5,4,3,2, Banner. The twos of the pack are the same cards which are used as aces (also known as sows) in other Swiss games, but they really are twos

http://www.pagat.com/karnoeff/kaiserja.html

that aside, the swiss deck is itself quite QI. The fact that this deck posses two jacks* in each suit is not the only anomalty. The tens are represented as flags bearing the suit symbol, and the "aces" in the deck, are strictly speaking, 2s. Furthermore, it is reckoned to be one of the most conservative ( I.e- changed the least) types of playing cards. it is said that a man form the 16thc. would be quite at home with the decks of the 1950s

exnihilo
942700.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone else recalls a card game named Krimo. It was present in our house when I was a child, but was already very old by then, and I don't recall ever playing it. I did like the cards though, for 'twas a card game, many of them were illustrated with suspects and witnesses and the rest were things like clues and alibis.

Edited: found it in the V& A collection, apparently it was from the 1930s and was designed as another 'good behaviour' game. I wonder if it's in my mother's attic?

Webster100
942762.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote

dr bartolo wrote:
Let's not forget karn÷ffel the world's oldest card game

That is quite interesting!

Efros
942763.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote

Karn÷ffel is one of the oldest but not the oldest naip seems to beat it by at least 100 years, probably others that are older.

djgordy
942765.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Adrian Prince. A former monopoly world champion,

Presumably there is only ever one Monopoly world champion at any one time.

exnihilo
942768.  Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote

Naip, naibbe or nayb appears to be the term for playing cards rather than any specific game. Cards were certainly present in Europe by the late C14th as attested in various statutes banning them. Presumably there were games being played or there would have been no call to ban their playing. However, although Karn÷ffel is the first specifically named game the most that can reasonably be claimed for it is that it's the earliest game in Europe, certainly not the world.

Detailed chronology.

dr bartolo
942907.  Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote

Staying with cards, there is the Japanese Kabufuda- and the surprising history of cards in japan in general
http://www.wopc.co.uk/japan/kabufuda.html

http://l-pollett.tripod.com/cards9.htm

Webster100
943015.  Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote

Women seem to be rather important to the world-wide popularity of kickball.

In Latin America, the sport is played almost exclusively by women.

Victoria "Steel-Toe" Harben led a group of Americans in introducing the sport to post-graduate students at England's Oxford Brookes University, where it became a regular pastime.

wiki

scoot
949726.  Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabaddi

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16611263

krollo
949853.  Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote

Don't forget korfball.

At first there was considerable controversy about the sport, because the players were of both genders. Several sports journalists refused to pay even the slightest attention to the new sport. Korfball-players were accused of being immoral. Even the sportswear was criticized, because the women were showing bare knees and ankles.

(wiki)

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next