View previous topic | View next topic

K-games, sports and pastimes

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Spud McLaren
941994.  Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote

Beginning with Klootschieten, a game almost exactly unlike boules.

Others?

Spud McLaren
941995.  Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote

Apparently the chap considered Britain's top kabaddi player is Adrian Prince. A former monopoly world champion, Mr Prince is considered "an expert in exposing opponents defences and stealthily raiding their areas".

Oo-er, missus.

Spud McLaren
941996.  Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote

post 936547

Spud McLaren
941998.  Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote

The current holder of the Guinness World Record for Knitting with the Largest Knitting Needles is Julia Hopson of Penzance in Cornwall.

Julia knitted a square of ten stitches and ten rows in stockinette stitch using knitting needles that were 6.5 centimeters in diameter and 3.5 meters long.

bemahan
941999.  Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote

My brother's old school, Magdalen College School, has a game called Kingball which is unique to the school. From Wiki:
Quote:
The game may have derived from Fives, for which a court was in use at the school at least as early as 1871. Although to some extent the rules are passed down from year to year, every new year that takes up the game usually adopts its own rules as well (the rules listed below are those commonly in use around 2008). The game has been actively played during breaktimes amongst pupils using four courts, painted by the school. The game is still played every day at the school.
Game layout
The game is played on a court that is very distinctly shaped. The ball (a tennis ball) is bounced around the court and the players progress up the shaped squares (although in fact only two of them are rectangular) until he is in the 'King' square. Then he serves, and so the game progresses until he is eventually knocked off the 'King' square. The game is predominantly played by younger boys, ranging from 813 years old. However, whenever boys from this age range vacate the courts and there are no tutors to tell them otherwise, older pupils enjoy playing the unique "sport". The seven squares are, in order of descending rank: King, Queen, Jack, Big, Pizza, (known to some as 'triangle') Evil and Rabies. If the court has been filled up then the extra players join another player currently playing to form a team of two, or a "double".

Spud McLaren
942000.  Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote

Shurely worth a mention in the k-series?

swot
942043.  Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:31 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
The current holder of the Guinness World Record for Knitting with the Largest Knitting Needles is Julia Hopson of Penzance in Cornwall.

Julia knitted a square of ten stitches and ten rows in stockinette stitch using knitting needles that were 6.5 centimeters in diameter and 3.5 meters long.

From mega-knitting to microknitting

Video here

'yorz
942046.  Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote

Is that music compulsory?

swot
942047.  Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:26 am Reply with quote

I haven't seen the film (I must, the book was excellent), but I assume that it's a soundtrack. It would certainly fit with the creepiness of the story.

swot
942048.  Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:33 am Reply with quote

That video, incidentally, led me to this one about koumpounophobia.

Apparently Steve Jobs had it.

Webster100
942105.  Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote

Do drinking games count? Because Kings/Kings Cup is the first thing that leaps to my mind. Ugh. I can almost feel the hangover now.

Last edited by Webster100 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Webster100
942116.  Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:

Others?

How about Kegel (no, not like that!), a game similar to bowling, or Kolf, a game similar to golf.

Well, Wikipedia compares kolf to golf, but after reading the description, it seems pretty distinct to me. Though the names are similar, and apparently they developed around the same time. And I was greatly amused to learn that the the game is played with balls that "have to be at least 80100 years old before they are fully mature," and a "strong wooden shaft." Sigh. I'm hopeless.

Webster100
942122.  Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote

The letter "K" is used to indicate a a strikeout in baseball. This is thanks to Henry Chadwick, the man who more or less invented the modern boxscore. The letter "S" was already used to indicate a sacrifice. "Struck" was a more common term for strikeout in Chadwick's time, so he used the last letter of the term as its abbreviation.

Source

mckeonj
942187.  Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote

Knucklebones, or Fives (as we called it)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knucklebones

mckeonj
942189.  Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:

Others?

This is still a popular sport in Southern Ireland, where it is known as 'bowling' or 'road bowling'. The pronunciation of the first syllable is a wide 'bow', as in bending at the waist, rather than 'bow', as in weapon.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next