View previous topic | View next topic

K-instruments

Page 1 of 1

Spud McLaren
940903.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote

There are loads, but to start with here's an experimental setup designed by Michel Waisvisz. It's called the Kraakdoos (Crackle Box) and apparently its sound is different for different players. I thought one might be made & passed around the panel on a show. Apparently it's easy to build, but I leave to you to decide whether or not it's a sound you'd want to reproduce - there are samples accessible from the page. I might have a go at making one. The degus were certainly Quite Interested in the sounds.

Spud McLaren
940904.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote

The Sudanese kicapi

Eringa (1949:3) points to the proverb "kawas pantun teu jeung kacapi", 'like a pantun(-singer) without a kacapi', used of someone who likes to give other people advice but who does not himself practise what he preaches. This proverb, according to Eringa, indicates that the kacapi is the Standard instrument for accompanying a pantun recitation.

Spud McLaren
940916.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:20 am Reply with quote

The kantele, which seesms to have played a large part in the growth of Finnish national identity.

Last edited by Spud McLaren on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Webster100
941592.  Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote

Let's not forget the beloved (ha!) kazoo.

mckeonj
941600.  Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote

It's a bit like that Katzenclavier, only it's got Tribbles in it, hasn't it?

monzac
943938.  Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote

Keyboards: This is cited by the poster as the earliest keyboard piece. Can't find any support for that in a quick search, but it's quite interesting :)

Spud McLaren
943958.  Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote

It's looking a likely candidate for the earliest known, but as keyboard instruments have been around in some form since before Ctesibius described the hydraulis in the 3rd century BC, it seems reasonable that earlier works would have existed and may have been documented.

monzac
943964.  Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:35 am Reply with quote

I was thinking 'earliest extant', but that's not how the fellow phrased it.

Spud McLaren
943966.  Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:45 am Reply with quote

It's an interesting piece, no matter how old.

Spud McLaren
943968.  Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:59 am Reply with quote

Incidentally, I didn't know (until now) the origin of the Do (or Ut)-Re-Mi nomenclature system (it's quite prevalent in our house at the moment, as both wife and daughter are appearing in The Sound of Music at the end of this month):

The founder of what is now considered the standard music stave was Guido d'Arezzo, an Italian Benedictine monk who lived from about 991 until after 1033. He taught the use of solmization syllables based on a hymn to Saint John the Baptist, which begins Ut Queant Laxis and was written by the Lombard historian Paul the Deacon. The first stanza is:

Ut queant laxis
resonare fibris,
Mira gestorum
famuli tuorum,
Solve polluti
labii reatum,
Sancte Iohannes.

Guido used the first syllable of each line, Ut, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol and La, to read notated music in terms of hexachords; they were not note names, and each could, depending on context, be applied to any note. In the 17th century, Ut was changed in most countries except France to the easily singable, "open" syllable Do, said to have been taken from the name of the Italian theorist Giovanni Battista Doni. Si, which has the S of Sancte and the I of Iohannes, was added in modern Solfège
(and seems to have been replaced by Ti).

- Wiki

djgordy
944003.  Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
and seems to have been replaced by Ti.

A drink with jam and bread no doubt.

This is my karimba

which is a thumb piano from sub Saharan Africe (although this one came from the local market). They are also called kalimbas, mbiras, marimbulas and a few other names depending on the local custom of the place they originate from.

Jamie Muir plays a thumb piano on the intro to "Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part 1" by King Crimson.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWybTnWN09c

Spud McLaren
944006.  Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote

I wrote:
...solmization ...
Of course, on re-reading I youlgreaved this as sodomisation.

Efros
944017.  Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote

koto

Wiki wrote:
The koto (箏) is a traditional Japanese stringed musical instrument, similar to the Chinese zheng, the Mongolian yatga, the Korean gayageum and the Vietnamese đàn tranh. The koto is the national instrument of Japan.[1] Koto are about 180 centimetres (71 in) length, and made from kiri wood (Paulownia tomentosa). They have 13 strings that are strung over 13 movable bridges along the width of the instrument. Players can adjust the string pitches by moving these bridges before playing, and use three finger picks (on thumb, index finger, and middle finger) to pluck the strings.

Webster100
944075.  Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote

monzac wrote:
Keyboards: This is cited by the poster as the earliest keyboard piece. Can't find any support for that in a quick search, but it's quite interesting :)

That's really cool. I just wish there was a little less white noise on the video.

germananglophile
985716.  Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote

saw this thread just now, sorry for the double post. I just like the word 'Kalimba"... :D

Page 1 of 1