View previous topic | View next topic

Kadesh

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

exnihilo
940158.  Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote

Leith wrote:
That led me to look up the pronunciation of bas-relief, which I've only knowingly encountered in written form to date:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?basre01w.wav=bas-relief

Sounds like we've not quite finished Anglicising that one yet.

Interesting. The OED lists (ˌbɑːsrɪˈliːf) as the standard pronunciation with (bɑː-rɪˈliːf) as an alternative so it seems in British English we've made it 'bass' and fully Anglicised it but America is still only part way there with 'ba'. Makes me think of 'filet', which I'd pronounce - and OED lists - as (ˈfɪlɪt) unless it was part of filet mignon, but the 'French' pronunciation seems to be ubiquitous in the US which might be why they don't balk at 'Chick-fil-A' which I read as 'chick-filla' (and wondered what the heck it was) until I heard it pronounced.

Sorry, 'yorz.

'yorz
940159.  Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote

exnihilo
940160.  Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote

Dragging it kicking and screaming back on topic it is interesting that the city of Kadesh is derived from the name of 'Qetesh' who was a Canaanite goddess of sex and fertility. Relief indeed.

'yorz
940163.  Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote

What have I ever done to you, ex?!

Spud McLaren
940167.  Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote

See, I knew there'd be a link!

< ducks sharply >

'yorz
940168.  Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote

Leith
940400.  Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote

I don't have much to add to the OP, 'yorz, but the Wiki article was most interesting. I enjoyed reading this one, also, which has one or two more interesting details on the battle, the peace treaty and their context:

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/ancient/articles/kadesh.aspx

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2