View previous topic | View next topic

Knives and Knuckledusters

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Spud McLaren
940100.  Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote

A starting point for discussion about knives and indeed knife-fighting.

Until I read the first article, I had no idea what a fuller or a ricasso was.

Spud McLaren
940107.  Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote

Knuckledusters

Something of a cross between blade and brass knuckles - the Mark I trench knife.

Sadurian Mike
964784.  Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:08 am Reply with quote

A pistol not good enough for you?

Try a pistol with a bayonet. An enduring idea that combined firepower with the ability to launch a very small bayonet charge.

An all-purpose pistol/knuckleduster/bayonet. Not a great weapon, as it turned out....

The idea has made a comeback with at least one manufacturer (yes, it's a US one).

And just when you thought that pistols couldn't get any sillier:

Sadurian Mike
964989.  Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote

Why would you get cut up by missing Eric Sykes?

Well, because the Eric Sykes in question was Eric A Sykes who, along with William Fairburn, developed the Fairburn-Sykes fighting knife, famed as the 'Commando' dagger, and also trained Special Forces in knife fighting techniques.

Posital
965007.  Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
An all-purpose pistol/knuckleduster/bayonet. Not a great weapon, as it turned out....

I don't fancy using it as a knuckle-duster - it'd have yer eye out - if you didn't wing yourself first...

EXE
965083.  Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:11 am Reply with quote

Don't forget the kukri blade!
(The notch on the blade is apparently a symbol of Shiva and not, as is commonly thought, a sight for when you throw the blade or a way to make the blood run off.)

dr bartolo
965086.  Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:34 am Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
Sadurian Mike wrote:

I don't fancy using it as a knuckle-duster - it'd have yer eye out - if you didn't wing yourself first...

This weapon is called by some an "Apache"

Note the image on the upper left- That solves the problem of maiming yourself when using the knuckleduster

Sadurian Mike
965112.  Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:28 am Reply with quote

EXE wrote:
Don't forget the kukri blade!
(The notch on the blade is apparently a symbol of Shiva and not, as is commonly thought, a sight for when you throw the blade or a way to make the blood run off.)

Quite so (although I've never heard of the 'throwing sight' theory). We covered kukris quite extensively back in 2008 (oh lordy), before the thread was derailed by a member with an agenda.

http://old.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=13158&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Sadurian Mike
965113.  Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:29 am Reply with quote

dr bartolo wrote:
This weapon is called by some an "Apache"

As in...

'It's okay, but it's not apache on having seperate weapons.'

Sadurian Mike
965123.  Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:45 am Reply with quote

The classic Hollywood/fantasy trope of the virgin heroine defending her honour with her 'chastity dagger' (usually hidden in her bodice) has a basis in fact.

In Spain, there was a knife known as a 'salvavirgo', which was intended to be used by women to fight off a potential ravisher. It was a variation on the 'standard' Spanish navaja, a folding razor-like knife commonly carried by Spaniards of all social ranks and positions.

The salavirgo was traditionally small and beautifully decorated, but still a valid weapon of self defence.

EXE
966564.  Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
The classic Hollywood/fantasy trope of the virgin heroine defending her honour with her 'chastity dagger' (usually hidden in her bodice) has a basis in fact.

In Spain, there was a knife known as a 'salvavirgo', which was intended to be used by women to fight off a potential ravisher. It was a variation on the 'standard' Spanish navaja, a folding razor-like knife commonly carried by Spaniards of all social ranks and positions.

South Africa has one-upped the Spaniards when it comes to rape defense weapons. While I don't believe it has ever been mass-produced, a South African woman developed something she calls Rape-aXe, which is basically a barbed female condom. Apparently it would spear the attacker and stay on, requiring surgical removal and thus allowing for the police to be alerted.

(I doubt that counts as a knife or knuckleduster though)

suze
966575.  Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:15 am Reply with quote

A South African woman who used to post to these forums mentioned that device back in post 65174. (Nearly seven years ago. Have I really been here that long?)

It was understood that this device was legal in South Africa, and it probably would be in the USA - but certainly not in Britain. Legality aside, what would be the outcome for the wearer if it activated accidentally, at a time when she was not being sexually assaulted? And how easy is it to remove if the wearer actually wants to have sex with someone?

belcrane
1137868.  Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:49 am Reply with quote

Wow that one is really good it looks really classy and it really has not been able to stop the ravishers cause the girls at that time are defenseless because of the guys who has guns.

crissdee
1137897.  Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote

I have a vague grasp of what that post is saying, but not enough to reply to it.

Anywho, regarding the 'navaja" I have an idea that one Mr J Ripper may have used such a weapon in a "professional" capacity. I would explain my theorem but I doubt many people would care.

'yorz
1137907.  Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote

Hah. I thought it was just me.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next