View previous topic | View next topic

Kalamazoo

Page 1 of 1

Oceans Edge
939565.  Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote

... as requested :)

But here is some really NICE news to share for discussion

In Kalamazoo Michigan - EVERY high school graduate gets a college scholarship. Every kid, no matter how poor, no matter what their status in life or their family, every kid who graduates gets to go to college.

I believe with ALL my heart, that post secondary education should be publicly funded - Kalamazoo just serves to help convince me that this is a dream that *maybe* just *maybe* might be achievable.

Imagine a world, where the only thing standing between you (or your kids) pursuing their dreams and their future is their own willingness to tackle it head on.

Kinda brings tears to the eyes

Jenny
939577.  Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote

Let's put Spud's mention of Kalamazoo on this thread too:
Spud McLaren wrote:

Kalamazoo hasn't had a zoo since 1974; despite this it hasn't become known as Kalama*. The Gibson Mandolin - Guitar Co. Ltd. was founded here in 1902.

The town was originally called Bronson - the first white resident named it after himself. It was renamed in 1836 after he was fined for stealing a cherry tree.

* and a good job too, to quote Gilbert & Sullivan. There's enough confusion on that count already -

suze
940402.  Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote

Gibson Guitars are made in Nashville these days - the company relocated there from Kalamazoo in 1984. The old Gibson factory in Kalamazoo was subsequently bought by another guitar maker, although not an especially well known one. (Of a list of musicians who use Heritage Guitars made in Kalamazoo, the only one I'd heard of was the country singer Roy Clark. And the main reason I'd heard of him was that he used to present The Tonight Show when Johnny Carson went on vacation.)

There's a company called Kalamazoo who make ID badges, NCR sheets of cheques, and similar exciting products. That company is based in, erm, Redditch.

exnihilo
940404.  Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote

(I've Got a Gal in) Kalamazoo by Glenn Miller and his orchestra was the number one selling record of 1942. It spent 19 weeks in the Billboard charts including 8 in the number one spot. It was nominated for the 1943 Oscar for 'Best Original Song' for its use in Orchestra Wives.

The Western Michigan University, mentioned above and based in Kalamazoo, has its marching band play the song before every home game.

Starfish13
940477.  Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:55 am Reply with quote

The song Della and the Dealer by Hoyt Axton mentions a cat named Kalamazoo.

But the cat was cool, And he never said a mumblin' word.

Spud McLaren
940643.  Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Gibson Guitars are made in Nashville these days ...
They may be based there, but I suspect the bulk of the production is done Way Out East.

Edit: sorry, was thinking of Fender.

tetsabb
940799.  Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote

Gibson Guitars were recently fined for using endangered Madagascan wood in their products

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19153588

Posital
940865.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
(I've Got a Gal in) Kalamazoo by Glenn Miller and his orchestra was the number one selling record of 1942.
Thanks - it was doing my head in - but just escaping me. I think Posgramps had the 78 - which I listened to.

Written by Warren and Gordon - Warren had quite a history.

Wiki wrote:
Over a career spanning four decades, Warren wrote over 800 songs. Other well-known Warren hits included "I Only Have Eyes for You", "You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby", "Jeepers Creepers", "The Gold Diggers' Song (We're in the Money)", "That's Amore", "The More I See You", "At Last" and "Chattanooga Choo Choo" (the last of which was the first gold record in history). Warren was one of America's most prolific film composers,and his songs have been featured in over 300 films

I'm amazed to know all of the songs listed above.

krollo
940930.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote

With longer casting capabilities and more line, a considerable tangle (called an overrun in Britain and a backlash in the United States) could result. Governors were devised to prevent this. In 1896 William Shakespeare, Jr., of Kalamazoo, Mich., devised the level-wind, a traveling bracket on the reel that automatically spread the line evenly as it was wound

Excerpt from EB article on fishing

Bondee
941194.  Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote

Kalamazoo by Primus.

It's not a cover version, but there's a huge similarity to the Glenn Miller song mentioned above due to songwriter Les Claypool's use of the A B C D E F G H I gotta gal... line.

Spud McLaren
941196.  Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote

krollo wrote:
With longer casting capabilities and more line, a considerable tangle (called an overrun in Britain and a backlash in the United States) could result. Governors were devised to prevent this. In 1896 William Shakespeare, Jr., of Kalamazoo, Mich., devised the level-wind, a traveling bracket on the reel that automatically spread the line evenly as it was wound

Excerpt from EB article on fishing
There's got to be a catch-question there, surely?

Page 1 of 1