View previous topic | View next topic

Karaims

Page 1 of 1

Spud McLaren
939394.  Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote

Karaims

Are they Jewish, Muslim, Christian, or none (or all) of the above? They believe Christ is a prophet, are required to follow the name Muhammad, they call God Тэнъри or Алла, and except for clergymen, are not circumcised, nor separate meat and milk or observe anything from Torah other than the Ten Commandments

alai
947516.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote

Just googled these peeps, and largely I'm as wise as before. But I'm seeing various statements that they do follow the Torah, but very much not the Talmud.

Believing that Jesus was a prophet is definitely not sufficient to make one a Christian -- otherwise all Muslims would be serving double duty.

Webster100
947611.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote

Have you heard of Jews for Jesus? These guys sort of seem like Christians for Muhammad (which lacks the same ring).

alai
947677.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote

Webster100 wrote:
Have you heard of Jews for Jesus? These guys sort of seem like Christians for Muhammad (which lacks the same ring).

Muslim Messianism, to continue the alliterative theme?

Doesn't quite work in the same way, because you'd have to ignore the dogma of all three Abrahamic religions to nominate Muhammad as a Messiah candidate over the protestations of all involved. Jewish Christianity is a more feasible thing, in that Judaism does anticipate a messiah, and Christianity has a candidate. They just disagree on the small matter of whether he's the man for the job.

Jews for Jesus, however, has less to do with Jewish messianism, and much more to do with fundie Christians blatantly evangelising Jewish people, about which there would be more than one or two sensitivities and objections.

One prominent Young-Earth Creationist (and occasional chessist) is a "Hebrew Christian", who interchangeably describes himself as a "Messianic Jew", which was my first tip-off to the two not actually being interchangeable.

Page 1 of 1