View previous topic | View next topic

Knowledge

Page 1 of 1

Spud McLaren
938013.  Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote

Big subject, knowledge, but surely you can't pass it over as an episode title?

Anyway, here's a starter.

Not to be confused with The Knowledge, although I suppose that's a subset.

Leith
938015.  Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote

On the subject of "The Knowledge", see post 516151, on "Navigation-Related Structural Change In the Hippocampi of Taxi Drivers"
Quote:
Hippocampal volume correlated with the amount of time spent as a taxi driver (positively in the posterior and negatively in the anterior hippocampus).

Jenny
938149.  Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote

Ooh I like that! "I had one of them hippocampi in the posterior, you know."

latericusvalete
985607.  Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote

I agree and think a it would be a shame not to see at least a segment on knowledge. The problem is the study of it is so vague and contentious.

However, if you look at the empiricist side of things, there have been some interesting studies on perception. Things like the upside down world experiment where people wore glasses that inverted the retinal image and so literally made the world look upside down. However, eventually the world rights itself and then when the glasses are removed the world appears upside down again.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/mar97/858984531.Ns.r.html

Things like blindsight are also fascinating and fairly baffling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindsight

These things are knowledge related in as much as they are relevant to perception which is how we take in a lot of our information about the world.

'yorz
985615.  Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quote

Good stuff, latericusvalete.
Welcome, btw. :-)

latericusvalete
985643.  Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:33 am Reply with quote

Zebra57
989988.  Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:40 am Reply with quote

A belated welcome

franticllama
990006.  Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:38 am Reply with quote

With regard to upside down things - I was listening to a pod cast of the life scientific the other day and the guy being interviewed was someone who was doing research in the Antarctic. (I listen to a pod cast every morning on the way to work so I confess I can't remember his name, may have to look it up later)
He was saying that they would go diving beneath one of the frozen lakes (I think it was Lake Vostok) and play underwater, upside down football. The ball would only be partially filled with water so it would obviously try to float to the surface but would be stopped by the ice. They would stand, upside down, feet on the ice . After a couple of minutes they would feel like they were the right way up and be able to play football. When they came back up to the surface they'd feel like they were upside down for a few minutes before their body re-oriented itself.

germananglophile
996782.  Wed May 15, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote

[quote="Spud McLaren"]Big subject, knowledge, but surely you can't pass it over as an episode title?
quote]

Sure didn't! :D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi_episodes#Series_K:_2013

Spud McLaren
996785.  Wed May 15, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote

Hurrah! One to you, one to me. And one to djgordy (Kings).

Page 1 of 1