View previous topic | View next topic

Kitchens

Page 1 of 1

Spud McLaren
937194.  Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote

History of the kitchen here.

I remember my gran's kitchen having no fridge*; instead it had a meat-safe, cooled by the evaporation of water that had been poured into a covered tray at the top.

During the course of several years doing my job, I've seen kitchens containing a built-in copper (for water-boiling and linen-washing), those containing a bath (some free-standing, others plumbed-in) and even one containing a lavatory bowl & cistern, standing proudly and unhidden against one wall.

I'm trying to decide whether the first fitted kitchen was designed by Poggenpohl. It implies it here, but doesn't actually say it -

"In 1923, Poggenpohl introduced a free-standing commodious cupboard called The Ideal which was also adopted by American cabinet manufacturer Kitchen Maid. The Poggenpohl cupboard was the forerunner of The Fitted Kitchen in the "Era of the Commodious Cupboard" ...
In 1950, Poggenpohl was again an industry forerunner, as it launched the first unit kitchen, which has become the kitchen industry standard. These kitchens, created in response to what Poggenpohl saw as a desire for the modern in its customer base, offered a continuous counter-top workspace and wall units that matched..."

Unless a fitted kitchen and a unit kitchen are synonyms.

* and no running hot water.

mckeonj
937221.  Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:40 am Reply with quote

Kinder, Küche, Kirche
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinder,_K%C3%BCche,_Kirche
I'm sure this has been mentioned already.

mckeonj
937222.  Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:46 am Reply with quote

I was told by the TV recently that the kitchens at Osborne House are half a mile away from the house.
Osborne House on the Isle of Wight was the holiday residence of the dear old Queen Victoria. She did not like to have the smell of cooking in the house, but nevertheless liked the meal served hot, so the food was conveyed in a heated trolley.

Strawberry
937241.  Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:03 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
Kinder, Küche, Kirche
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinder,_K%C3%BCche,_Kirche
I'm sure this has been mentioned already.

Yes, it has. There's a thread about it here.

Spud McLaren
938814.  Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote

It also seems that O-E beat me to it - post 926112

Oceans Edge
938852.  Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote

s'ok.. I don't mind, I find kitchens interesting where ever I find em :)

Spud McLaren
945230.  Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote

If kitchens are to be discussed, the discussion wouldn't be complete without mention of the great Alexis Soyer*, the Jamie Oliver of his day, but with rather more panache. And possibly more grenache, too.

His kitchen at the Reform Club was so celebrated that it held guided tours. He championed the use of the new-fangled gas cooker, and later invented a field stove for the use of the armed forces**, where he also advised on nutrition and instituted permanent regimental cooks. If I read this page correctly, he may have been the first to invent a truly portable camping stove.

Nor was he a mean-spirited man. Although his Reform Club salary was £1000 per annum in 1837, he was instrumental in many charitable works including setting up a soup kitchen for the starving in Dublin during the potato famine, and donating the profits from some of his books to various other charities. To begin with, his travels in the Crimea during the war were self-funded.

I think I might have liked to meet him.

* yes, I was watching The Great British Bake-off today.
** a design which was in use until the 1980s.

Page 1 of 1