View previous topic | View next topic

Making a salamander apologise in writing

Page 1 of 1

Spud McLaren
934889.  Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote

...which (apparently) you can do if you can catch the perpetrator of a mischief if it's a kappa. These creatures are in some ways similar to the kelpie and the selkie.

It has nothing to do with the Kappa effect.

'yorz
938880.  Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote

So - could the perceived length of Nijinski's jumps* have been a case of Kappa effect?

Quote:
But if ''Faune'' was difficult, Nijinsky's next ballet, ''Le Sacre du Printemps,'' must have been impossible. The one five-count phrase Nijinska offers as an example of her brother's choreography, which has been lost, sounds preposterous, hopelessly literal and twitchy: ''On count 1, high in the air, he bent one leg at the knee and stretched his right arm above his head, on count 2 he bent his body towards the left, on count 3 he bent his body towards the right, then on count, still high in the air, he stretched his body upwards again and then finally came down lowering his arm on count.''

*not one of 'm, as he was never filmed - just a taster

Spud McLaren
938883.  Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote

Not really sure. I have noticed, what with my extensive experience of ballet*, that often a dancer's jump will coincide with a flurry of notes from the orchestra. It hadn't occurred to me until now that this may have been planned by the composer for just such a purpose - to alter the audience's perception of the length of time the dancer is able to defy gravity. Nijinski worked very closely with Stravinsky with The Rite of Spring, which is full of such flurries, if I remember correctly.

* where's that sarcasm punctuation mark when you need it?

'yorz
938884.  Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote

Hm. There are countless witness statements to the fact that he would jump from the wings on one side of the stage and disappear in the opposite wings. That might be just a tad exaggerated, but if so many were gobsmacked, there must be some truth in it?

Spud McLaren
938885.  Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote

Small stage?

'yorz
938888.  Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote

Georgian Theatre Royal, Richmond N Yorkshire

Spud McLaren
938892.  Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote

Bloody hell, even I could clear the width of that in one go...

'yorz
938896.  Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote

*puts in a fiver*

and holds needle 'n thread at the ready for emergency stitching

Awitt
938903.  Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote

Now that's small!

Spud McLaren
938912.  Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote

Well, OK, I might need the assistance of that needle, thanks...

Sadurian Mike
964803.  Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:43 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
...which (apparently) you can do if you can catch the perpetrator of a mischief if it's a kappa. These creatures are in some ways similar to the kelpie and the selkie.

It has nothing to do with the Kappa effect.

From the Wiki article:

Wikipedia wrote:
They are sometimes said to take their victims for the purpose of drinking their blood, eating their livers or gaining power by taking their shirikodama (尻子玉?), a mythical ball said to contain their soul which is located inside the anus.

Why does this sound to me like the US trailer-dweller claims to have been anally probed by aliens? 'Sure my ass is sore and bleeding after leaving the bar, honey, but I can explain... I've had my shirikodama taken by kappa.'

fenomas
999179.  Sat May 25, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote

Lots of interestingness around kappa. There's even a General Ignorance question for when the Japanese version of QI finally starts. "Kappa" is also Japanese for a poncho or cape to keep off the rain, so many assume that this sense comes from the mythical kappa being waterproof, but it actually comes from the Portuguese "capa".

Spud McLaren
999184.  Sat May 25, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote

Excellent, fenomas! Keep the QI stuff coming...

Page 1 of 1