View previous topic | View next topic

Kabuki

Page 1 of 1

'yorz
934743.  Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:42 am Reply with quote

Kabuki is a classical Japanese dance-drama. Kabuki theatre is known for the stylization of its drama and for the elaborate make-up worn by some of its performers.

The earliest portrait of Izumo no Okuni, the founder of kabuki (1600s)

mckeonj
934766.  Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:17 am Reply with quote

Commedia del'Arte

Is there a connection here? Did one inspire the other?

dr bartolo
966410.  Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PPRMp7uIZw
at 42 minutes and 5 seconds, you can see marvels of Japanese stage machinery

EXE
966563.  Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:56 am Reply with quote

A lot of people know that kabuki actors are all male, but what isn't as widely known is the fact that kabuki was actually begun by a woman.
Kabuki was also a hub of male homosexual behavior, and many kabuki actors also worked as male prostitutes.

Kodos
982605.  Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:39 am Reply with quote

Kabuki was/is a theatre style born of wanting to shock audiences and in opposition to more orthodox styles.

So it's fair to say that it's mad, bad and dangerous to noh?

I'll get me coat.

dr bartolo
982647.  Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabukimono

Strange to think of it, that one of the most famous of Japanese theartrical arts was in part based on the behaviour of what we might now consider "chavs"

To make matters even wierder, Izumo no Okuni, the founderess of Kabuki, started it off by dancing in a dry riverbed with a group of female lowlifes and outcasts.Later when brothels took up the act ( literally) , to attract wealthy clients.

aahaavis
998079.  Tue May 21, 2013 3:51 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:

Is there a connection here? Did one inspire the other?

Japan was pretty much isolated from foreign culture for a couple hundred years starting from the 16th century. I doubt they had any knowledge of comedia dell'arte in Japan when kabuki started to form. Nor do I find the two theatre forms similar.

salamander
1079589.  Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote

noh was created by kanze (who was also a homosexual lover of the shogun)as a descendant of sarugaki,theatre dance.it concentrated on buddhist and particularly zen themes and was thus popular with the warrior aristocracy,kabuki on the other hand,llike opper was created for the merchant class.ive never seen a kabuki perforance but noh is incredibly powerful

Page 1 of 1