View previous topic | View next topic

Dozing

Page 1 of 1

MatC
45380.  Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:00 am Reply with quote

When animals hibernate, do they move around in their sleep? If not, why donít they get that DVD, or whatever that thing that kills people on aeroplanes is called? Why donít their limbs drop off from lack of circulation?

Amie
45383.  Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:13 am Reply with quote

Deep Vein Thrombosis?
Quote:
Hibernation is a state of regulated hypothermia, lasting several days or weeks, that allows animals to conserve energy during the winter. During hibernation animals slow their metabolism to a very low level, with body temperature and breathing rates lowered, gradually using up the body fat reserves stored during the warmer months. Some hibernating animals stir as often as once a week; others sleep throughout the season. Some reptile species are said to bruminate, or undergo brumination, but this is merely another term for hibernation, usually in the context of an induced hibernation in captivity necessary to reset the animal's biological clock for a new breeding season.

A guess might be the reduced heart rate, less blood flowing could make it harder to clot? It's just a guess, I'll have to look into it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernation

Feroluce
45390.  Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:32 am Reply with quote

I'm working on something very similar at the moment (please excuse me while I skirt around confidentiality issues).

In hibernation, mammals typically need half the oxygen they normally require.
As less oxygen is used, less carbon dioxide is created, because of these factors blood flow can be reduced to minimum levels.

Clotting is not an issue in a reduced blood flow situation as there is less pressure to jam the clot in a blood vessel.
If there is a clot the bloodflow will simply drift around it rather than move it to a critical area. This will also serve to reduce the clot over time.

Page 1 of 1