934629.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote

BURN THE BLASPHEMER!

"The Chosen ones of Babylon shal trounce the Voyaging Trekers"

Valen 13:7

PDR

Neotenic
934630.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
What I meant was that arguing with a troll is an exercise in futility. What is the purpose: To change his mind, get him to stop posting? (That won't work.) To show how prepossessed you are and eloquent you can make your arguments? (Seems rather self-serving, like Federer playing tennis off a brick wall.) To practice your argumentative skills? (We call this "feeding the troll".) Why not just back off? Getting you riled up is precisely the response he is looking for, yet as enlightened a forum we purport to be, we haven't mastered the art of calmly walking away.

Personally, I just see it as sport.

Of course there's an element of showing off to it - I know my way around a dictionary, and (even if I do say so myself) have a bit of a flair for a florid and amusing simile or put-down. If I can make someone smile whilst calling someone else a twat, that's mission accomplished as far as I'm concerned. And if you take the showing-off out of the internet, you're mostly left with pictures of cats.

I do think there's an element of practice to it as well - I do genuinely believe that the time I have spent here has helped me to be able to put across rather technical and dreary points in my real-world work in a way that people can engage with.

There doesn't have to be a point to it, though - it's just a bit of fun. And different people find different things fun. I'd rather spend the weekend forcing metal rods under my fingernails than running around a comic or sci-fi convention in fancy dress, but that does seem to work for you, and I'm sure you have a lovely time.

The key, as you rightly say, is to not get genuinely angry. If ever I find myself striking the keyboard with particular venom, that's generally the indicator to quietly walk away for a bit. Again, I can't say that I manage to do that all the time, but that's allowed.

I certainly don't expect anyone I spar with to have some kind of Road-to-Damascus type moment of clarity - but if I can plant a small seed of doubt in the back of their minds to germinate, then I'd see that as a success. I'm pretty sure that's the way my own worldview has morphed over the years, too.

Bondee
934641.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote

I don't have a clue what's going on most of the time, but seeing an idiot like wotsisface get torn to shreds by the regulars makes me chuckle to myself.

MinervaMoon
934664.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
Personally, I just see it as sport.

Fair enough, Neo, but I'm just pointing out that that is the exact opposite of ignoring (and thus defeating) a troll.

Neotenic
934671.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote

I guess that's the crux of it - you see a troll as someone to be defeated, I see them as someone to spar with. Internet debates are never really won or lost, they just sort of fizzle out.

It's not a matter of everyone joining together and ignoring people, just those who don't want to play ignoring the whole carry-on.

Efros
934674.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
A pointless argument, to me, would be something like whether TNG is better than DS9 - because they're both shit.

Yup that and the relative contributions of Karate Kid and Free Willy to the cinematic arts for the same reason as Neotenic stipulated, an earnest argument I overheard one night in a pub.

Bondee
934678.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Neither can hold a candle to Babylon 5, so the question is a non-sequiter.

Derek!...

aTao
934702.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote

Bit bloody ironic really, trolls discussing trolls.

Neotenic
934716.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote

exnihilo
934749.  Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:06 am Reply with quote

aTao wrote:
Bit bloody ironic really, trolls discussing trolls.

Que?

MinervaMoon wrote:
"So what"? So it's stupid and counterproductive, that's what.

Well, it's nice to know how you feel. If I'm 'stupid' for not feeling the same way, so be it.

CB27 wrote:

One thing is to have a couple of side remarks here and there, I do it all the time, but when you have to go through 2-3 pages of posts from various people reacting to a troll so that you can get to the discussion you were following, that's when you feel like giving up, and that's a shame.

Please. Like that thread was really so very very interesting that not being able to easily follow it caused you distress. This is the internet equivalent of bemoaning the loss of the word 'gay'. Still, kudos for "calling him out" on everyone's behalf, I'm convinced it was your "fuck off troll" that sent him on his way. Or possibly not, possibly what did was that he wasn't really getting a rise out of most of us, we weren't hurtling abuse at him and that's what he wanted us to do.

Oceans Edge wrote:
(average 14+ posts per day!)

13 (not 14) posts a day when one is in the throes of a heated discussion is hardly excessive. After all you're on an average of 7 posts a day for the whole time you've been here. I think I'm a pretty active poster and I'm not even on an average of 2.

Alfred E Neuman
934753.  Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
It's not a matter of everyone joining together and ignoring people, just those who don't want to play ignoring the whole carry-on.

Exactly what I meant when I exhorted people to ignore the threads and posts that they don't like.

I'd hate to think that someone like Mick Jee could stroll in here spouting drivel and be ignored by Neo - that would be both wrong and boring.

exnihilo
934755.  Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:35 am Reply with quote

Quite. As already said there are plenty of threads I avoid like the plague. When I've moaned about the chitty chatty drivel I've been told I can just stay out of the threads, how can this possibly be different? He's not all over the place disrupting conversations, he's contained in one thread, ignore it. No "ignore function" needed, just exercise judgement and don't click the link.

Seemples.

PS 'hurtling' above should be 'hurling'.

CB27
934757.  Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
Please. Like that thread was really so very very interesting that not being able to easily follow it caused you distress. This is the internet equivalent of bemoaning the loss of the word 'gay'. Still, kudos for "calling him out" on everyone's behalf, I'm convinced it was your "fuck off troll" that sent him on his way. Or possibly not, possibly what did was that he wasn't really getting a rise out of most of us, we weren't hurtling abuse at him and that's what he wanted us to do.

Not sure where that came from.

It's a bit hypocritical considering the thread you started because you were upset at how people started some threads. That's your bug bear and personally I thought it one that could easily be ignored, but we each have our quirks. My bugbear, which I've mentioned on previous occasions, is trolling. The irony is that if it really doesn't bother you, why bother saying it's irrelevant?

Yes, there were a couple of points in some posts on that thread that I wanted to discuss, and I don't mind when threads deviate, what I was bothered about was that this troll got his objective in that everytime any conversation started taking hold, he/she tricked everyone into "arguing" a different bit of crap altogether.

As for when I said about calling him out, I think you misunderstood my post if you think I claimed no one else was aware that he was a troll or hadn't made it obvious. When I posted "fuck off troll", this does nothing to the troll themselves, they ignore such messages, this was more about putting a pause on what was going on, and is something I saw as very effective on other forums, so I tried it here.

exnihilo
934759.  Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote

Upset? Hardly. And scarcely a bugbear, merely an observation and one which only you have disagreed with. As for the 'irony' of it I literally haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next