View previous topic | View next topic

Trolling should be treated the same way as spam

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

CB27
934438.  Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote

Sorry, but the latest troll to hit our shores has proved what "giving the benefit of the doubt" gets you.

I wonder whether any new or occasional posters have been put off by this rubbish while some sad little moron is getting his jollies from sticking two fingers up to anyone who wants to have a genuine discussion and debate.

Oceans Edge
934442.  Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote

agreed, if someone has been asked more than once - and by a mod - to treat the other inmates with a bit of respect and is shouting so loudly no one can talk around him he needs to be removed from the cyber gene pool.

might be different if QI forum had an ignore function as some forums do, or as one forum James frequents does - sets the idiot to 'ignore' for everyone but themselves. (quite amusing in a way - they end up sitting and shouting at only themselves - sometimes takes em a while to realize no one can hear them). However, those functions don't exist - so I kinda think there comes a point where, it just needs dealing with.

How about a short vacation even - see if that gets the message across. But as his purported purpose in being here is "to poke the hive of atheists with a sharp stick" - I don't suspect he will

Quote:
Arguing with a Fundamentalist Christian is like playing chess with a pigeon.

You could be the greatest player in the world, but the pigeon will still knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut around triumphantly.

Strawberry
934444.  Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote

i've only posted in his thread three times; i think i should try to avoid mick jee as that's a good way of dealing with trolls. i didn't realise he was a troll when he first joined, though.

Oceans Edge
934446.  Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote

no I didn't think he was a troll first off either... just one of those net denizens with a little less social skills than most.

however, he's pretty much come out from under his rock and made it quite clear it's been his intention all along to be an ass.

now whether he's a hit and run troll and has actually left the building for other forums elsewhere, or whether his latest missive was actually sufficient enough to piss of the beautiful patience of a saint Jenny, only time will tell.....

either way, good riddance to bad rubbish

moving on...

PDR
934453.  Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote

In most cases I'm against banning these people - only when they become repeatedly offensive or abusive do I think it could be justified. I simply think that they do a better job of destroying themselves with their own posts than any ban could ever achieve - indeed the ban generally inflates their egos.

I don't feel that our current evangelical nut meets the banning criteria - let him carry on making an idiot of himself.

0.03 supplied,

PDR

Neotenic
934462.  Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote

Something that always strikes me when looking over the David Icke forums, which we have had cause to do lately, is just how many people contributing to the discussions now have a marker on their posts showing they've been banned.

I don't like the idea at all - but then again, I'm also against calling people 'trolls' in general, and especially repeatedly. I don't see the point, especially as it more likely emboldens them than discourages them.

Time and again I'm told that if I don't like reading people's prattling small-talk that induces jaw-dislocating yawns, I should simply not read or contribute to those threads. I really don't see the difference.

Bottom line, I don't think anyone should be banned for being a twat.

And, personally, I like having new people around to disagree with - and I like disagreeing because it forces me to think about why I disagree, and why I believe what I do. A fleeting visit from a passing nutcase is fairly entertaining. And it's surprising what you can learn - I've now learned that Job 39:5 is a bible verse worth keeping on standby for future religious 'debates'.

So, if some people get to keep their 'chatty' threads, others get to play with the occasional transient weirdo.

Deal?

CB27
934468.  Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote

Problem there is that there was actually an interesting discussion going on between others there for a while, and it got completely sidetracked.

I wanted to get into a conversation on some points, but what was the point, so I gave up. I think other people give up as well, and at times I find myself wondering where some previously regular posters suddenly are and look back to notice they disappear around the same time such trolls take place.

I have no problem calling people out as trolls as soons as I think it appropriate, and I did so on the thread which caused my OP, and I note that not long after the guy pretty much admitted to it. I can't help wondering how much worse it would have been if he'd been stringing everyone along with the idea that he's just an innocent misunderstood poster for longer?

CB27
934469.  Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote

For the record, being a nutcase is not the same as being a troll.

I think we've also had our share of nutcases, such as the flat earthers, that guy that thought Islam was the best thing since sliced bread (though sliced bread actually came much later), and others, and I don't think these people were trolls, they need to be dealt differently.

If it was someone simply posting to give their religious views, however bizzare, it would have been irritating, but this guy stepped over the line into trolling.

Oceans Edge
934473.  Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote

perhaps an ignore function - so that those who want to engage such people can, and those who find their antics extremely distracting from the conversation they're trying to engage in can get on with it without having to endure the shouty noise - is the answer to resolve the problem to everyone's satisfaction

MinervaMoon
934475.  Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote

Trolling should be treated the same way as spam: ignored. Why people bother arguing with a troll is incomprehensible to me. As though it'll stop him/her from trolling. I guess some people like arguing.

Arcane
934478.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote

Just when does it become determinable when someone is trolling? I think that is a little too subjective. Like MinervaMoon said, ignore them and they'll go away. What they want is attention. Don't give it to them. 'Fraid to say I got a whiff of something not so pleasant about the person concerned from the start which is why I didn't engage with them.

Alfred E Neuman
934482.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:42 am Reply with quote

I'm with Neo on this - if their trolling bothers you, ignore the thread. If you want a real discussion, they're not the one to have it with so wait till they're gone, and carry on, or alternatively start another thread. Trolls usually concentrate on what they think of as "their" threads, and often don't bother going elsewhere in the forum. They never stay long that, and they do provide some fun as they pass through.

We're all adults here, at least those who post regularly, and I don't see the need to have an ignore button - when you see the poster or the garbage, close that thread and move on to something else. It's not that hard.

I must also add that I can only admire the way most posters try to keep a thread interesting and meaningful when the troll is busy doing their best to divide and annoy. It is indeed tribute to the spirit in here that so much slack is given to people who, let's face it, are often easily identifiable as trouble makers. It's part of the ethos of these forums, and I see no reason to make a fundamental change to how we operate.

Neotenic
934488.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:01 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Problem there is that there was actually an interesting discussion going on between others there for a while, and it got completely sidetracked.

The great thing about this format is that multiple conversations can happen simultaneously, so long as you pay attention. Indeed, conversations get 'derailed' all the time by regular posters and the natural flow of conversation. I don't see a massive problem with that, as if you do want to carry on the original conversation, you're perfectly free to do so.

I would suggest that repeatedly and exclusively posting variations of 'fuck off, troll' thread the post is every bit as much a diversionary influence as the irritant poster themselves.

Indeed, we see time and again that they will always choose the path of least resistance - so if it is a choice between responding to a couple of detailed challenges, or hooting with glee that they've pushed people's buttons and insisiting that they'll only fuck off when they're good and ready, the latter wins every time.

I've been racking my memory, and I think I can recall just three people that have been banned for non-spam reasons - all of which we gave many more opportunities to play by the rules, and all of which were guilty of more egregious abuses than this rather infantile incursion, who clearly debates with all the finesse of someone finger-painting whilst wearing oven gloves.

The thing that makes me uncomfortable about The Ban being a more frequently deployed weapon against transient irritations is just how quickly a torch-and-pitchfork mentality would arise. How quickly would the 'ban him' calls start? After five posts? Three posts? One? MY guess is that however long the period, it would only get shorter with each successive iteration.

bemahan
934489.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:20 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
Quote:

I would suggest that repeatedly and exclusively posting variations of 'fuck off, troll' thread the post is every bit as much a diversionary influence as the irritant poster themselves.

Indeed, we see time and again that they will always choose the path of least resistance - so if it is a choice between responding to a couple of detailed challenges, or hooting with glee that they've pushed people's buttons and insisiting that they'll only fuck off when they're good and ready, the latter wins every time.

post 933790
A lesson learnt then, Neo?

Neotenic
934495.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:36 am Reply with quote

I never said I was perfect.

But you will note that I didn't say he should leave, but I am a big fan of a colourful insult.

I basically have three rules in this area - never call anyone a troll, never tell someone they aren't welcome and never announce you're own departure from a thread, as it makes you look a bit foolish when you re-appear.

Sure, if you look hard enough you'll probably find examples of me breaking all those rules at some point or other - but that's what rules are for, right?

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next