View previous topic | View next topic

Kings and Queens

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

djgordy
934261.  Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:47 am Reply with quote

The body is which King of Rome is currently on display at Derby Museum and Art Gallery?

Incorrect answers:

REX ROMVLVS;
REX NVMA POMPILIVS;
REX TVLLVS HOSTILIVS*;
REX ANCVS MARCIVS;
REX LVCIVS TARQVINIVS PRISCVS;
REX SERVIVS TVLLIVS;
REX LVCIVS TARQVINIVS SVPERBVS.

Correct answer:

Quote:
The King of Rome was a racing pigeon that won a 1,001-mile (1,611 km) race from Rome, Italy to England, in 1913. The bird, a blue cock, ring number NU1907DY168, was owned and bred by Charlie Hudson (born early 1870s, died 13 March 1958 aged 84, of 56 Brook Street, Derby (now demolished, 52.9265°N 1.4855°W), who was reported as having started pigeon racing in 1904. At the time of the race, he was president and treasurer of Derby Town Flying Club. He also wrote on pigeon-racing matters for the Derby Evening Telegraph. On the bird's death he presented its body to Derby Museum and Art Gallery where its taxidermied skin is preserved with accession number DBYMU.1946/48. As of 2011, it is on display, and has previously been exhibited on loan elsewhere, including Walsall Museum and Wollaton Hall in Nottingham.

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_of_Rome

Please form an orderly queue for viewing.

There is a song about this animal which was recorded by the great June Tabor.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vmbFLQxz6k

I was reminded of it as I bought a June Tabor 4CD box set yesterday.

Quote:
Unlike his predecessor, Tullus was known as a warlike king.

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tullus_Hostilius

I'm kinda guessing that the name "Hostilius" lent itself to some nominative determinism.

Spud McLaren
934566.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
The King of Rome ...There is a song about this animal which was recorded by the great June Tabor.
Written by Derby man Dave Sudbury, who (I think) can still be found performing in various local live music venues. "The King of Rome" is unlike most of his other output (he's quite a Delta blues enthusiast) and in fact the original doesn't sound a lot like the June Tabor one.

Jenny
934715.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote

Ooh a June Tabor 4CD box set sounds brilliant!

suze
934724.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote

What, no No Man's Land??

Those who listen to folk music will probably be aware of No Man's Land (aka Flowers of the Forest aka The Green Fields of France aka Willie McBride).

I think my favourite version of the song is probably the one by The Men They Couldn't Hang (which uses the Green Fields title), but June Tabor's isn't far behind.

As befits a folk song which has been performed by almost everybody, it was written in 1976. By an Australian.

Spud McLaren
940352.  Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote

Good King Wenceslas wasn't a king.

"Although during his lifetime Wenceslas was only a duke, Holy Roman Emperor Otto I posthumously "conferred on him the regal dignity and title" and that is why, in the legend and song, he is referred to as a "king". The usual English spelling of Duke Wenceslas's name, Wenceslaus, is occasionally encountered in later textual variants of the carol, although it was not used by Neale in his version. Wenceslas is not to be confused with King Wenceslaus I of Bohemia (Wenceslaus I Premyslid), who lived more than three centuries later."

Spud McLaren
940354.  Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote

Although we tend to be used to the idea that monarchies are hereditary, some are, or were, not. I link to an article about elective monarchies, which I'm sure have been mentioned on the programme before.

And in this regard, a QI snippet about Andorra -

"Andorra could be considered a semi-elective principality. Andorra's two heads of state are Spain's Bishop of La Seu d'Urgell and, since 1589, the king of France. As the French monarchy has long since been eliminated, the position of co-prince of Andorra falls to the democratically elected President of France. However, the Andorran authorities or people have no say in the election of the President of France, leaving Andorra in the unique position of having a monarch who is democratically elected by the citizenry of another state."

- from the linked page above.

Spud McLaren
940365.  Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote

King Cnut (not a typo) was a wise man - both his women were known as Ælfgifu. But he couldn't hold it together -

"The new regime of Normandy was keen to signal its arrival with an ambitious programme of grandiose cathedrals and castles throughout the High Middle Ages. Winchester Cathedral was built on the old Anglo-Saxon site (Old Minster) and the previous burials were set in mortuary chests there. Then, during the English Civil War, in the 17th century, plundering Roundhead soldiers scattered the bones on the floor, and the bones of Cnut were spread amongst the various other chests of rulers[,] notably William Rufus."

gerontius grumpus
945593.  Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote

King Cnut must have been the inspiration behind French connection UK and their logo.

Dix
946346.  Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
King Cnut (not a typo)

The Danish spelling is Knud, so he does belong in the K series. Incidentally the first time I head he was buried in Winchester was when I watched the recent 3-part Vikings series on BBC. I checked the ultimate authority (aka. Mom), who did not know either, despite being interested in history and archaeology. Probably because Danish history text are more interested in the fact that he was Great and Danish than where he actually chose to live (and die).

dr bartolo
946476.  Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote

Whislt not exactly a king, koxinga , a Chinese millitary leader , Is a pretty QI figure. For one, his chinese name "成功" ( surname 鄭) translates as "successfull" However, the name by which he is known in english, Koxinga, comes form the Hokkien pronunciation of the other name bestowed upon him by the emperor- "国姓爷"- Lord of the imperial surname"

(P.S- I do not reccomend this being featured- Stephen may fall into fits attempting to say the names)

scoot
949725.  Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote

Kings and queens is a subject that could easily take up an episode on its own. Stephen dressed as Henry VIII and Alan as Richard III. The whole Richard III story is so full of Klaxon opportunities that I foresee Alan getting a record breaking minus score.

tetsabb
949736.  Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote

Would His Fryness not prefer to be dressed as a queen?

(Only joking, honest)

CB27
950947.  Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote

The King of Siam had four queens, but one of them drowned while travelling down the river to the summer palace. Though there were many onlookers, none tried to save her and her unborn daughter, why?

Klaxons for suggesting the people hated her or the king, or that they couldn't swim, or there were dangers in the water.

The simple answer is that she died because of Royal Protocol. Common people were forbidden from touching members of the Royal family, and to do so would be punishable by death. Despite the many onlookers, none would dare break this protocol for fear of losing their lives, and so the queen died.

In his grief, the King had a memorial built at the summer palace (Bang Pa In), which has become a tourist attraction.

djgordy
950977.  Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:39 am Reply with quote

Of course, it might be that they thought one less member of the royal family would be a good thing.

interestinglit
958200.  Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote

The best 'King' fact I can think of (if it's even true) is that King Richard II of England (1377-99) is credited with introducing the handkerchief into England. It's true that he gets the credit, but is it true that he introduced it?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next