View previous topic | View next topic

Starting a New Thread

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

CB27
933915.  Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote

Oh, I agree a bit of context is required, I thought you meant about putting an opinion.

tetsabb
934658.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote

'yorz
934761.  Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:00 am Reply with quote

If the timeline hadn't told me differently, the OP could have been a reaction to one of my latest posts. So it's merely coincidence.
However, I do agree that I should have added a bit of information to let people know what it's about and why it drew my attention.
The only excuse I have in this instance is that I felt absolutely crap due due my cracked rib; I was trying to divert my attention away from the pain. Not an excuse, but a reason.
Will try to do better in the future.

exnihilo
934765.  Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:16 am Reply with quote

I honestly didn't have anyone specific in mind, t'was just a general observation. I blame Facebook where if you post a link it automatically creates a preview and gives you the first few sentences. It's easy to get into the habit.

'yorz
934767.  Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quote

I have no idea about the ins and outs of Fb - that medium gives too much information about people I am not interested in whatsoever, and too little about the ones I do care about.

Neotenic
934773.  Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:00 am Reply with quote

You have your friends list and settings all wrong, then.

Posital
936613.  Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote

A belated - I agree. Drives me up the wall.

Awitt
936620.  Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:55 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I have no idea about the ins and outs of Fb - that medium gives too much information about people I am not interested in whatsoever, and too little about the ones I do care about.

Ditto, I'm not on it and have no intention to start. I've got this site for wordy discussions with like minded folk and my other creative site for my writing/photos and those folk.

Jenny
936723.  Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote

I love FB. It helps me stay in touch with people I wouldn't otherwise see much, and it often makes me think and makes me laugh, and sometimes get into good discussions.

If I see a lot of stuff about people I don't know well and I'm not interested, I just scroll over it.

Awitt
936745.  Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote

I've seen/heard reports that potential employers can/sometimes check FB for future applicants to see what may have been said about previous colleagues etc. As I'm at the job hunting stage I'd rather avoid this process.....though.....by not being on FB it can be seen as 'unwilling to share personal info.' Since when did normal privacy become an issue?

Moosh
936748.  Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote

Personally I avoid employers finding embarrassing things about me on facebook by not saying embarrassing things on facebook. It doesn't seem that hard to both use the website and not say things that I don't want to make public.

At the end of the day, whatever privacy settings you may use, the only things on there are what you've chosen to put up. If you go on and say your boss is a dickhead and he sees that then you've got no one else to blame.

exnihilo
943374.  Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote

An employer can see neither more nor less than you allow them to. IF, like me, your Facebook privacy settings are set to "friends only" then that's exactly who can see your facebook profile.

suze
943429.  Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote

On my second Facebook account - the one which I use to interact with people I know IRL - I too have everything set to "friends only".

What's more, I make it a rule not to enfriendulize* current pupils of my school. (I don't make the approach, but if a pupil who has moved on to university or employment asks to enfriendulize me, I usually accept.)

Not everyone is so cautious, though. A lot of people, and especially school aged people, enfriendulize everyone they've ever met - and then wonder why if it comes back to bite them on the butt.

* No, of course there's no such word.

CB27
943455.  Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote

Some people use befriend :)

Strawberry
943468.  Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote

Suze explained in post 907714 why she prefers to say enfriend.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next