View previous topic | View next topic

Starting a New Thread

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

exnihilo
933301.  Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:34 am Reply with quote

There have been a few threads started lately as just a link to a news website or similar with no summary, no explanation, no question, and no opinion attached to it.

Can I ask that we not treat this site like it's Facebook and when you start a thread you actually say why? And think whether it needs a thread of its own.

If all you're doing is sharing an interesting link there are threads for that already. If what you're posting has caught your attention, and it presumably has, please offer some sort of précis of what the link is going to lead to and tell us why it's interesting to you or why it has annoyed you, or whatever.

Obviously I'm not a moderator and have no power to compel anyone but I thought I'd post this anyway and see what the response was.

dr.bob
933772.  Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:35 am Reply with quote

I wholeheartedly agree with this point of view.

Just posting a link and hoping it'll start a debate is very lazy. If you want to start a debate, put some effort into it and put forward your own point of view to get the ball rolling.

Jenny
933848.  Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote

I agree too.

CB27
933881.  Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote

If people want to start a discussion of opinions I'd agree, but if it's just pointing to a link to something interesting you think others might want to see, then I think a link is enough if that's what turns you on :)

exnihilo
933883.  Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote

Then surely that's for a thread of things people have found on the internet?

Either way, would it hurt to say a little something about the link so people know what they're clicking on?

CB27
933915.  Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote

Oh, I agree a bit of context is required, I thought you meant about putting an opinion.

tetsabb
934658.  Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote

'yorz
934761.  Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:00 am Reply with quote

If the timeline hadn't told me differently, the OP could have been a reaction to one of my latest posts. So it's merely coincidence.
However, I do agree that I should have added a bit of information to let people know what it's about and why it drew my attention.
The only excuse I have in this instance is that I felt absolutely crap due due my cracked rib; I was trying to divert my attention away from the pain. Not an excuse, but a reason.
Will try to do better in the future.

exnihilo
934765.  Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:16 am Reply with quote

I honestly didn't have anyone specific in mind, t'was just a general observation. I blame Facebook where if you post a link it automatically creates a preview and gives you the first few sentences. It's easy to get into the habit.

'yorz
934767.  Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quote

I have no idea about the ins and outs of Fb - that medium gives too much information about people I am not interested in whatsoever, and too little about the ones I do care about.

Neotenic
934773.  Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:00 am Reply with quote

You have your friends list and settings all wrong, then.

Posital
936613.  Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote

A belated - I agree. Drives me up the wall.

Awitt
936620.  Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:55 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I have no idea about the ins and outs of Fb - that medium gives too much information about people I am not interested in whatsoever, and too little about the ones I do care about.

Ditto, I'm not on it and have no intention to start. I've got this site for wordy discussions with like minded folk and my other creative site for my writing/photos and those folk.

Jenny
936723.  Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote

I love FB. It helps me stay in touch with people I wouldn't otherwise see much, and it often makes me think and makes me laugh, and sometimes get into good discussions.

If I see a lot of stuff about people I don't know well and I'm not interested, I just scroll over it.

Awitt
936745.  Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote

I've seen/heard reports that potential employers can/sometimes check FB for future applicants to see what may have been said about previous colleagues etc. As I'm at the job hunting stage I'd rather avoid this process.....though.....by not being on FB it can be seen as 'unwilling to share personal info.' Since when did normal privacy become an issue?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next