View previous topic | View next topic

Dieulafoy, Madame

Page 1 of 1

eggshaped
45257.  Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:52 pm Reply with quote

Marcel-Auguste Dieulafoy was a world famous architect, born in Toulouse in 1844. With his wife he excavated the palaces of the ancient Persian kings Darius I the Great and Artaxerxes II at Susa, to the delight of the French government.

For Mme Dieulafoy's great work in archaology she was decorated with the Order of the Legion of Honour, as well as the great privilage of being allowed to wear men's clothes in public.

Source 1

Source 2

Jenny
45271.  Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote

Eggshaped - if you use something like TinyURL or Make A Shorter Link, you can render those links like this, which doesn't either stretch the page wide or make the link too small to read. I prefer Make A Shorter Link because it then takes you to a page where it tells you where it's redirecting you - many people prefer that, especially if they're on a work computer. I'm not a moderator on this forum, but if you want to you can edit your own post to make those links shorter - here are the makeashorterlink replacements:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?H1882457C

http://makeashorterlink.com/?N1982157C

gerontius grumpus
45341.  Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:33 pm Reply with quote

I deplore the modern trend of pronouncing the name Darius as DarYus. It doesn't really make sense in any language but English.
Ithink it mus arise from the assumption that in ancient languages , the stress is on the penultimate syllable.

96aelw
45377.  Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:26 am Reply with quote

Do you mean that you would rather people didn't stress the penultimate syllable, and stressed the first instead? Because I always used to stress the first syllable until I was told not to when at university by a man one could not reasonably call old fashioned. I think, actually, that this does make more sense in terms of how the word is spelled in Greek. Of course, it's not a Greek name, so how it's spelled and pronounced in Persian is more to the point, and my Persian is definitely limited, I'm afraid (to the point of non existence).

gerontius grumpus
45387.  Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:23 am Reply with quote

Wherever you put the stress, there is still no excuse for saying
Dar-EYE-us instead of Dar-EE-us.

I also have no knowledge of ancient Persian and we cannot hear how the ancients spoke but the Greek letter rendered in Roman letters as Y is generally accepted to have been pronounced like a Welsh U or the German U with an umlaut.

Gray
45396.  Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:49 am Reply with quote

I've edited those links for you, eggshaped. Here's how to do the code yourself, though:

[url=http://www.some_web_address.com]some link text[/url].

Simple...

eggshaped
45400.  Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:04 am Reply with quote

Yes Gray, I am.

:o)

Thanks to all.

rat
45436.  Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:19 am Reply with quote

Gray wrote:
I've edited those links for you, eggshaped. Here's how to do the code yourself, though:

some link text.

Simple...

Thanks Gray for that - I was about to post in the 'Using the QI Forums' asking how to do the shortened links.

Gray
45446.  Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:23 am Reply with quote

Fortunately, that's well covered. :-)

rat
45452.  Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:11 am Reply with quote

Gray wrote:
Fortunately, that's well covered. :-)

Yes I did see that but couldn't follow it with any success - it seemed more straightforward when you explained it in this forum :-)

Page 1 of 1