View previous topic | View next topic

Dibnah, Fred

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Saxmachine
70137.  Tue May 16, 2006 2:31 pm Reply with quote

loz wrote:
I HATE fred dibner, mostly for his flat cap.

What is there to hate about him? And indeed it? He seemed a fairly inoffensive, if not loveable, character to me.

Not to dispute your hatred - do unto others and all that. Just curious, that's all.

On another note entirely,
Topping wrote:
his new career as an historian

I remember watching Fred Dibnah talk about some castle's foundations in History once. No-one learnt anything, but it was the most fun we'd ever had. All agreed he was a legend.

loz
70165.  Tue May 16, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote

saxmachine,

to be honest, i don't actually hate him, i just find him and other men of his calibre irritating. flat caps are a personal niggle -- they should have been left with Victorian chimney sweeping children.

what kind of sax do you play? i play tenor in a pretty decent jazz quintet and a great big band -- we're off touring in Paris this summer!

loz
70166.  Tue May 16, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote

loz wrote:
i play tenor in a pretty decent jazz quintet and a great big band -- we're off touring in Paris this summer!

i meant that the big band is really good, not that they're really big!

Saxmachine
70480.  Thu May 18, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote

Snap.

Well, except the quintet is a quartet, and only a vague muse of myself and the guitarist, and hence is not touring Paris! Lucky you, that sounds like immense fun.

I'm going on a tour of Italy with my county (Leicestershire) wind band in the Summer, but it'll be pretty school trip-like, so, though they'll let me drink, it's gonna be organised and stuff. :-( Me want freedom!

I got my hands on a bari - whom I originally dubbed Barry - courtesy once again of the county, but someone else has it this year. Twas very fun, and, did they not cost between three and seven thousand pounds (I tried writing in figures, but it's just too scary and therefore disheartening) I would buy one pronto.

Big bandness is just about to kick off again methinks, what with the advent of summer and hence the fairs/fayres/fetes thereof. Should be cool.

I seem to be rambling pointlessly about my uninteresting life.

So back to Fred Dibnah. I think, if he were reincarnated, my dad would like to be him.

QI Individual
70492.  Thu May 18, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote

Saxmachine wrote:
I got my hands on a bari - whom I originally dubbed Barry - courtesy once again of the county, but someone else has it this year. Twas very fun, and, did they not cost between three and seven thousand pounds (I tried writing in figures, but it's just too scary and therefore disheartening) I would buy one pronto.

You should keep an eye on eBay.

BondiTram
70618.  Fri May 19, 2006 6:51 am Reply with quote

Topping wrote:
Well, I tried to enter quite a long reply to all and Loz but Ive managed to loose it by pressing submit. Maybe I should of pressed preview first of all. For now, Im gonna make a brew, get some kip, finish that late essay for college and then... write that reply again!

Isn't that just the most annoying thing?
I reckon what you did was preview it then, thinking you had just read the already submitted text, pressed 'Back' instead of 'Submit'.
That's what I think I have done on various occasions anyway.

One way round it is to copy everything you write before doing anything else, then all you have to do is go back to square one and 'Paste'. I developed this technique courtesy of Wanadoo (or Wanadon't as some of us call it), which frequently ejects into the ether any email reply which has taken more than 5 minutes to write!

Oh! Almost forgot. I was a big fan of Fred, cloth cap, fruity accent, and chimneytop picnic. I often wondered how he got on so well in TV because he never seemed to be totally at ease with some people and certainly not a fluid conversationalist. Perhaps that was his charm. He was ordinary.
Extraordinary!

To quote Michael Parkinson and, now, Noel Edmunds.

Mr Rich
70716.  Fri May 19, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote

Fred was my hero when I was a youngster,
even though he came from Ovver t'ill.

I especially liked his flat cap.

Saxmachine
70853.  Sun May 21, 2006 1:55 am Reply with quote

QI Individual wrote:
Saxmachine wrote:

You should keep an eye on eBay.

I reject ebay on grounds of extreme distrust and, when that fails, sheer bloodymindedness. I am determined to ignore the march of technology when it marches in directions I don't understand (and hence like) in the least. Hence, no i-Pod, no Ebay, no freeview.

I would never buy something as valuable as a sax unless I'd played it first. The fact that they're selling them for 14p on there confirms my view that they're either crap or non-existent. Either way, I'm not interested.

Cheers for the tip though,
Sax.

Topping
71048.  Mon May 22, 2006 1:09 pm Reply with quote

Hello everybody!

Its been a while since I last replied to this forum.

I cant remember what my last reply, I lost, was all about and I also was trying to reply to Loz about her hatred of Freds flat cap but cant remember what I was gonna say to Loz? Thanks also to the person (forgot username) who tried to advice me on saving my reply before submitting just in case I lose it or something?

Anyway, back to Fred. I was re-watching his programs on the BBC history channel on Saturday all day. I thought they were really interesting even though Ive already seen them before.
The thing I dont like about him is that he appears abit of a male chaufernist. In one of his series, his wife tries to speak to him while hes stuffing newspaper in a chimney hole and hes saying; 'What love!' and 'Yes Im fine love!' Freds body language and expressions shows that hes abit embarressed that hes with his wife whos questioning his well being and asking if hell be safe standing at such and such a place when the chimney begins to fall, his wife then asks Fred if she can light the fire and also tells the cameraman that Fred always takes the torch off her after shes lit the middle first. Later, his wife holding this torch which Fred has lit and then she tries to light the middle of a pile of wood at the base of an old chimney, then Fred says; 'Right give it here now love!' He says it as if hes irritated about his wifes involvment and hes probably thinking; 'Shes a woman, she shouldnt be lighting fires, etc!'

Maybe Im wrong!?

I can understand Loz's hatred of Freds cap because theyre really old fashioned today but I think Id rather see someone wear a flat cap than a baseball cap. What I liked about Fred his the fact hes really old fashioned, natural and well, hes a right character isnt he!

I used to feel ashamed of being a Boltoner, Lancashire lad, or northener because people down south think we are all thick bitter drinkers and stuck in some time warp.
When I used to live in Oxford and Torquay for a few months, I always had people saying; 'Are you from up north?' and; 'Its different were you come from!' Even though Im well spoken, my accent stands out a mile down south, but Im glad its not as strong as Freds!

Ive met 1 or 2 people who have asked me if we still work in cotton mills and wear clogs, but things have changed alot over the past 30 yrs in Lancashire... which is why I think its nice to meet people like Fred who speak really broad and reflect northern culture which is kind of disappearing... thats if anyone believes in a north-south divide. I kind of enjoy being from the same town as Fred even though were I am, it tends to be abit cold, wet and grey compared to places like surrey.

Topping
71051.  Mon May 22, 2006 1:20 pm Reply with quote

Reply to Bonditram.

Ive an e.mail with Wanadoo and have lost lots of e.mails which have taken me 2 hours to write. Its so so annoying which is why I just stick to Yahoo which fills my junk e.mail inbox with countless junkmail on p*nis enlargement tablets and Rolex watches. How on earth Ive managed to get this junk mail I dont know? but I get about ten bogus e.mails a day!

Ive added a star to a word above in case the moderator disagrees with that word, not that its really offensive!

Saxmachine
71053.  Mon May 22, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote

Topping wrote:
I used to feel ashamed of being a Boltoner, Lancashire lad, or northener because people down south think we are all thick bitter drinkers and stuck in some time warp.

What's wrong with being stuck in a time warp drinking bitter? I can think of few more pleasurable passtimes! I live in the Midlands, btw, but I'm a village boy, so maybe that explains it.

suze
71075.  Mon May 22, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote

Topping wrote:
Its so so annoying which is why I just stick to Yahoo which fills my junk e.mail inbox with countless junkmail on p*nis enlargement tablets and Rolex watches. How on earth Ive managed to get this junk mail I dont know? but I get about ten bogus e.mails a day!

Ive added a star to a word above in case the moderator disagrees with that word, not that its really offensive!

Those e-mails about enlarging one's member are even less welcome when one happens to be a girl! And being a girl doesn't prevent them appearing in one's Yahoo inbox (or one's Hotmail inbox). The only way to stop them altogether is never to go online, and how dull would that be!

I'm sure our Jenny wouldn't get all upset if you said "penis" - we've been known to stoop so low as to actual proper swearing words before now...

As for Fred, well yes he was a bit of a male chauvinist. But perhaps it's fairer to say he was a man of his time / place. When he were a lad in Bolton in the mid 20th century, that is just how it was. He had clear opinions on what was and wasn't "women's work", because he was brought up to have them. Times have changed, but as we all know the older one is the more resistent one tends to be to new ways of thinking.

For sure, if my husband were to demonstrate Fred's attitude to the female sex, I wouldn't be too keen on it. But at the same time, there is much to be commended in his belief that it was his job to provide for his wife and children.

Oh and Topping, it's really rather cold, wet and grey in the South East at the moment - don't believe them if they tell you it's sunny all the time down this end of the land!

samivel
71088.  Mon May 22, 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Topping wrote:
Its so so annoying which is why I just stick to Yahoo which fills my junk e.mail inbox with countless junkmail on p*nis enlargement tablets and Rolex watches. How on earth Ive managed to get this junk mail I dont know? but I get about ten bogus e.mails a day!

Those e-mails about enlarging one's member are even less welcome when one happens to be a girl!

Also if you're a bloke and you get spam offering you the chance to enhance your breasts.

Jenny
71472.  Thu May 25, 2006 7:14 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm sure our Jenny wouldn't get all upset if you said "penis" - we've been known to stoop so low as to actual proper swearing words before now...

Quite right suze - that certainly wouldn't bother me. Fortunately, the denizens of this site are very reasonable (as well as witty, knowledgeable and entertaining, she said, laying it on with a trowel) in what they write and I've rarely had to edit anything except on the grounds of something the writer hasn't realised might cause the programme some legal problem or other, or where a long link has stretched the page so wide it's become awkward for everybody.

Topping
79613.  Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:27 am Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

Its a long time since Ive sent any replies to the Fred Dibner forum but for some reason, I never get notified of any replies... Ive only been notified twice since I first joined. Now its time to see how the forums progressed?

Mark

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next