View previous topic | View next topic

Dibnah, Fred

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Norb
66664.  Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:08 pm Reply with quote

I think the most famous quote from the internet re trolls must be from BITD on usenet:

"You are a troll and I claim my 5"

Gray
66733.  Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:00 am Reply with quote

Well, this all seems to have blown over. Did I miss something exciting?

Sorry, I was on holiday for a week. Should have left the keys behind...

mckeonj
66756.  Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:51 am Reply with quote

Yes.
Now can we get back to Fred Dibnah? It was my thread what I wrote.

Gaazy
66836.  Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote

Right. Fred Dibnah. He was the one who blew up steam engines, right?

Gray
66859.  Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:13 am Reply with quote

...and de-tumesced chimneys.

Topping
68976.  Mon May 08, 2006 3:53 pm Reply with quote

Fred Dibner had always been a close friend of my grandad as they were more or less in same trade.
One weekend in 1983, I visited my grandad and remember seeing Freds steam Engine parked outside my grandads farm on the Bolton moors.

Fred popped round my grandads for a brew, to chat and to show off his steamer. I remember listening to them both talking about steeple jacking, the past and people they used to hang around with at school and all that. Around this time, Fred had a couple of TV series about his life and work... I was really shocked when I first watched the series as Id met him before his fame and didnt think he would become rich n famous.

My grandad once told me; 'We both ged on cos tha mon talks broad!' Fred and my grandad speak whats called 'Deep Lancashire' which is very strong and old fashioned but I think its great to listen to!

Ive been gutted to recently learn that Fred died of cancer over a year ago. I always wanted to pay him a visit, as I know exactly were he lived, but trouble is - I dont know him as well as my grandad and its years since I last spoke to him.

Jenny
69154.  Wed May 10, 2006 6:42 am Reply with quote

Great character, but must have been hell to be married to, unless you were the kind of wife that didn't mind your husband spending all his time reconstructing steam engines and mainly ignoring you. That was the impression he gave anyway!

suze
69167.  Wed May 10, 2006 7:47 am Reply with quote

Well his first two wives did mind, and hence became ex-wives - although it was still a bit cruel of his first wife to depart with the kids while he was away on a filming trip. When he got back, there was a note on the kitchen table ...

His third wife - the one who survived him - obviously didn't mind so much, because they left their wedding on a steam roller! (Driven by Fred's son - even the great man wore a suit rather than overalls to be married.)

Topping
69263.  Wed May 10, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote

I suppose he was under alot of pressure keeping up an image, after all steam engines and his new career as an historian was his new career, and careers take up alot of time for many people. He has to bring in tne money somehow! But I can understand his first two wives getting abit brassed off! Maybe Fred needed to go on a filming trip to 'let of steam!'

I remember a friend of mine told me that hed once watched him through binocolars, climb to the top of India Mills chimney in Darwen (near Bolton). He was sat down eating some sandwiches with his legs dangling over the edge. Hes got some bottle because this chimney is 300ft high and it wouldnt take much of a breeze to blow him off top.

loz
69864.  Sun May 14, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote

I HATE fred dibner, mostly for his flat cap.

Topping
69877.  Sun May 14, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote

Theres still alot of people, up where I am in Lancashire, who talk like Fred Dibner and who wear flat caps, in the 50+ age group.

Jenny
69883.  Mon May 15, 2006 4:00 am Reply with quote

Oh yes - that lovely, fruity Lancashire accent!

loz
69932.  Mon May 15, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote

Topping wrote:
Theres still alot of people, up where I am in Lancashire, who talk like Fred Dibner and who wear flat caps, in the 50+ age group.

Thats obviously where i've gone wrong. 18 and from Sussex... doesn't really fit the fred fan club profile

Topping
70118.  Tue May 16, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote

Well, I tried to enter quite a long reply to all and Loz but Ive managed to loose it by pressing submit. Maybe I should of pressed preview first of all. For now, Im gonna make a brew, get some kip, finish that late essay for college and then... write that reply again!

loz
70120.  Tue May 16, 2006 1:38 pm Reply with quote

Topping wrote:
Well, I tried to enter quite a long reply to all and Loz

I'm curious now...

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next