View previous topic | View next topic

Dibnah, Fred

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

QI Individual
66131.  Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:35 pm Reply with quote

I am, frankly, a little bit disappointed by the somewhat less than adequate reaction by the people who run the QI forum in handling this matter. I would have expected better lines of communication between the different people involved.

I am also surprised that apparently not every moderator is capable of taking action in cases like this. I would expect that if someone is trusted to perform the task of moderator in one subforum that this person can then also be trusted to voluntarily keep his/her hands off the subforums that are the responsibility of other moderators in all other but these more urgent situations if they are expected to do so; and that this does not need to be enforced by simply denying them the possibility to edit these other subforums.

Perhaps the current policies should be reconsidered and possibly revised.

QI Individual
66133.  Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote

And I am of course fully aware that the QI people are currently very busy with the preparations for the recordings of the D-series but I donít think this would preclude them from keeping the lines of communication open and keeping an eye on the forum.

Jenny
66155.  Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote

I am really sorry but I don't have access to the deletion tools for this forum. I have sent a message to Gray, and I will send another, because clearly this ought to be deleted.

djgordy
66170.  Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:57 am Reply with quote

I put tippex on my screen whenever unpleasant messages appear.

Amie
66223.  Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:22 pm Reply with quote

We should really have moderators on this forum.. I know Jenny is on the other forums but shouldn't we have a couple more for times like this, when the elves are away working?

suze
66232.  Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote

I'd have to be with you there.

I'm not quite sure why the other forums don't have moderators - I'm sure they used to. But I'm equally sure that there is someone out there who could do a similar job to Jenny on the currently moderator-less parts of the site. Which would be cool, because it won't take that nonsense long to get onto Google if it doesn't get deleted soon!

Jenny
66261.  Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:46 pm Reply with quote

Gray is away at the moment, which is why this hasn't been dealt with as he is the person with access to moderator tools for this forum. I have asked that I be given access to the moderator tools, but unfortunately it would be Gray who would have to set that up! I can only apologise and say that the offending posts will be removed as soon as physically possible. I think maybe we all got a bit complacent about the possibility of trolling, because our regular posters are all extremely civilised!

grizzly
66276.  Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:57 am Reply with quote

Q: Is trolling in the OED yet?

suze
66292.  Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:55 am Reply with quote

A: No.

I just looked - as can you all until Sunday, because the OED is free online this week. (I suppose I should object to this since I have a paid subscription, but I won't)

We are given various uses for "troll" as a noun and as a verb. To summarise briefly (in my own words, naturally)

Troll (noun):

1. One who trolls (see verb meanings)
2. A round (as in a song where people take it in turns to sing)
3. Part of a fishing rod
4a. A technique used in pike and salmon fishing
4b. The bait used for this
5. = trolley
6. = trawl (as in commercial fishing)
7. A fictitious creature

Troll (verb)

1. To walk in a particular manner, associated with homosexuals on the pull
2. To roll (as in dice or bowling balls)
3. To whirl (as a dervish)
4. To move in the manner of the tongue in speaking
5. To think about
6. To pass from one person to another, as with a communal drinking vessel
7. (Same intransitive) - to be passed in this manner
8. To roll in as flowing water
9. To make something roll in as flowing water
10. To sing in the manner of a "round"
11. To ring bells in a particular way
12. To speak with a full rolling voice
13. To use a particular fishing technique
14. To entice, as bait in fishing

I also learn that "troll-madam" is a game for ladies similar to bagatelle, that a "trollop" is an untidy or slovenly woman and that "trolleyed" means the same as "whammed, wankered, trashed, slammed, pissed as a newt".

But the Internet meaning of "troll" has yet to come to the attention of the good people at the OED. So off you all go and find an earliest citation!

grizzly
66303.  Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:22 am Reply with quote

Seeing as one of my "101 things to do before I die" is to get a word into the OED, how does one go about adding an entry to the OED?

CarrieW
66304.  Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:27 am Reply with quote

grizzly wrote:
Seeing as one of my "101 things to do before I die" is to get a word into the OED, how does one go about adding an entry to the OED?

http://www.oed.com/readers/research.html perhaps?

JumpingJack
66351.  Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:07 am Reply with quote

Sorry about this, folks. Just one of those unfortunate oversights like forgetting to cancel the milk when you go on holiday. It happens.

You are all generally such decent and civilized posters that moderation is almost never necessary Ė Mostly Harmless,whom some of you may uncomfortably remember, excepted.

We are doing all we can to contact Gray (and Kieran who designed the original structure and now lives abroad).

In the meantime, thanks for your patience.

Jenny
66359.  Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:15 am Reply with quote

Regarding troll - the gay slang definition can be found on any website devoted to Polari - British gay slang. See http://www.chris-d.net/polari/ for examples.

Years ago when I used to listen to Kenneth Williams and Hugh Paddick on 'Around the Horne' this aspect of their humour completely escaped me, as I was young and innocent in those days, but it must have been completely outrageous at the time. Their 'I'm Julian and this is my friend Sandy' routines were hilarious anyway.

Gaazy
66477.  Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote

JumpingJack wrote:
Mostly Harmless,whom some of you may uncomfortably remember, excepted.

This seems to have passed me by - I seem to remember innocuous postings by Mostly Harmless, so what happened afterwards?

laidbacklazyman
66524.  Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:47 am Reply with quote

she left removing everything she posted and replacing it with dots.

Very weird

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next