View previous topic | View next topic

Dibnah, Fred

Page 2 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

suze
65255.  Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:20 pm Reply with quote

Fred Dibnah was from Bolton. He was a small man who wore a flat cap, chain smoked and drank beer. So far, you get the picture of a caricature Northern male.

But he wasn't. He was a steeplejack by trade, and developed a sideline in demolition (which he did by an old fashioned method involving lighting a fire at the bottom, not by using dynamite). He also bought a couple of clapped out steam locomotives, got them working and exhibited them and stuff.

And of top of all of this he made TV programmes about all of the above. They turn up quite often on the UKTV History channel (Freeview ch. 12) and are usually most entertaining.

Linda
65259.  Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote

Ah. Thanks Suze.

Linda

suze
65270.  Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote

I discover that this may be even more in need of removal than it was anyway.

Having Googled, it appears that Henry Allum is the name of a much respected school teacher in the village where this eejit claims to come from. Since it's fair to assume that it's not him who has posted this drivel, it's got to go!

(NB to Gray - if you do decide to remove that rubbish, please remove this post as well. No reason to mention the poor fellow at all if we don't have to.)

CarrieW
65292.  Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:09 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
He also bought a couple of clapped out steam locomotives, got them working and exhibited them and stuff.

He did indeed, spent most of my childhood going to steam rallies and seeing him about, He was friends with my dad, really nice bloke.... /random post!

suze
65294.  Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:13 pm Reply with quote

Be as random as you like, CarrieW!

Whatever that moron eleven posts up may think, we're all going to be nice about Fred Dibnah on this thread!!

samivel
65298.  Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:24 pm Reply with quote

Aye

mckeonj
65300.  Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:25 pm Reply with quote

Oh Aye

Henry Allum
66048.  Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:24 am Reply with quote

<deleted-by-moderator/>

Henry Allum
66052.  Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:35 am Reply with quote

Hello all,

my name is Henry Allum

I apologise profusely for the comments that have been added to this forum. My students recognised my fascination for the subject of steeplejacking and have appeared to have found this forum and posted explicit comments.

I am conducting a serious investigation within my class to identify those responsible of these actions, and they will be disciplined accordingly.

Once again i apologise and ask that no action will be taken.

I may get the student/s responsible to write an apology on the forum if it would make any consolation.

Yours,

Henry Allum

Robertswood School

suze
66095.  Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote

[Deleted because it's been pointed out to me that I what I originally said here can't be right!]

Fimo
66105.  Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:36 pm Reply with quote

Not funny. Especially when my children are lurking over my shoulder while I am on here. Please stop it and grow up. Can't anyone delete those posts?

suze
66111.  Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:45 pm Reply with quote

Jenny did say she was going to ask Gray if he could do precisely that, but I guess he's been busy with other things.

Nudge the next moderator you see this way!!!

Fimo
66114.  Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote

I surely will, thank you Suze! The kids have gone to bed now (hurrah!) but those posts are still an unsightly blot on our lovely forum. I suppose the next tirade will be directed at me! Fancy daring to disapprove of such original and cutting edge humour!

QI Individual
66115.  Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:47 pm Reply with quote

If the last person posting was indeed the person he says he is then he was apparently able to make the last posting eleven minutes after the previous one and either found the/his computer still logged in or had retrieved the password. If he knows the responsible student(s), as he suggests, he must be able to retrieve the password from him/them and some autofill function may perhaps have stored the password so he might not even need to know the password.

The point being that he should be able to delete the offending texts himself by editing the postings.

suze
66122.  Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote

QI Individual wrote:
If the last person posting was indeed the person he says he is then he was apparently able to make the last posting eleven minutes after the previous one and either found the/his computer still logged in or had retrieved the password. If he knows the responsible student(s), as he suggests, he must be able to retrieve the password from him/them and some autofill function may perhaps have stored the password so he might not even need to know the password.

The point being that he should be able to delete the offending texts himself by editing the postings.

You are not wrong of course, although if he's not a regular forum user he may not know how to do it. I won't say more just now, for practical reasons which I'll explain when this whole unsavoury business has been sorted ...

Page 2 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next