View previous topic | View next topic

Desert Island Discs

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

mckeonj
43399.  Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote

A long running BBC radio show, conceived and presented by Roy Plomley, in which each week a well-known person would play ten records of their choice, if cast away on a desert island with only ten discs and a record player; and also, in addition of course* to The Bible and Shakespeare, one book of their choice.
I am sure that QI at large would like to nominate its choice of book - never mind the music, spare the bandwidth. (I just made that up, it's quite good!)
*this was the 'not-PC' wording used in the original form of the show.

Jenny
43419.  Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:53 pm Reply with quote

I think for me it would have to be the largest and most comprehensive volume of poetry I could find. I think I'd get bored with any prose work fairly quickly. And for my luxury I'd like one of those wind-up radios that could receive the BBC World Service, because then at least I could hear other human voices. The only other alternative for me would be an endless supply of biros and paper, but I think I'm inventive enough to work out a way of recording anything I'd want to record, but not inventive enough to create a radio.

Flash
43431.  Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:50 am Reply with quote

Eight records, I think.

Feroluce
43444.  Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:19 am Reply with quote

Looking at it from a logical perspective, the book would have to be 'Absolutely everything Ray Mears knows about surviving on a Desert Island', as soon as he's written it.

My luxury item would be Kelly Brook.

Feroluce
43445.  Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:22 am Reply with quote

How long before Desert Island Discs gets replaced with Desert Island PodCast?

dr.bob
43500.  Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:41 am Reply with quote

Surely the book would have to be "How to build a life raft from twigs, sand, and saliva" so you could escape back to civilisation.

Celebaelin
43506.  Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:01 am Reply with quote

Feroluce wrote:
My luxury item would be Kelly Brook.

John Cleese's luxury item was Michael Palin. Make of that what you will (although if I recall correctly the rules stipulate that you are not allowed to use your luxury item as a form of shelter, however limited).

Tas
43514.  Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:00 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Surely the book would have to be "How to build a life raft from twigs, sand, and saliva" so you could escape back to civilisation.

Surely the title should be "How to build a life raft from twigs, sand, records, player, power lead, generator and saliva"?

(Or batteries, assuming no lead and generator)

:-)

Tas

gerontius grumpus
43689.  Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote

The music would have to be album tracks that were never issued as singles and in the case of classical music, parts of very long works.

The book, one of john Seymour's books on self sufficiency.

Luxury item, fishing tackle.

Jenny
43746.  Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, you weren't allowed to have anything as a luxury item that was actually useful, so I don't think you'd have been allowed the fishing tackle. And I'm not sure how useful the Seymour book would be unless you had a rather British climate on this desert island, and some livestock and seed.

Maybe a copy of Robinson Crusoe or Swiss Family Robinson?

Amie
44190.  Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote

I think my book would be called, 'Mastering the Art of Teleportation'

gerontius grumpus
44216.  Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
If I recall correctly, you weren't allowed to have anything as a luxury item that was actually useful, so I don't think you'd have been allowed the fishing tackle. And I'm not sure how useful the Seymour book would be unless you had a rather British climate on this desert island, and some livestock and seed.

Maybe a copy of Robinson Crusoe or Swiss Family Robinson?

You don't think I actually catch anything, do you?

And who says a desert island has to be tropical?

samivel
44219.  Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:59 pm Reply with quote

Simon says :)

Joepingu
44222.  Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote

Desert island escapology "For Dummies"

Luxury item would probably be a telescope.

Gray
44262.  Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:01 am Reply with quote

I'd like a 10,000 page blank notebook for prose and verse. At least if my pen ran out, I could fashion an exquisite origami paper boat.

Luxury item: 12 cases of Fortnum & Mason's Italian Spooning Chocolate. it's thick and universally, cross-phylum delicious, so it would probably make pretty good bait.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next