View previous topic | View next topic

Kaiser Bill

Page 1 of 1

mckeonj
927696.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote

'yorz
927697.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote

Indeed. When I saw the title of this new thread, I started whistling straight away. Pavlov Rules OK.

Spud McLaren
927705.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote

Looking at the first photo reminded me that the BSL sign for Germany used to be a forefinger raised to point up from the head in representation of a pickelhaube, but has been changed to the sign for eagle in recognition that the former sign was out of date and possibly a little insulting.

Although the old sign can still be found in this translation video.

suze
927706.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote

Nobody really knows who Whistling Jack Smith was. The guy who appears on the record cover and who appeared on Top of the Pops miming whistling was one Billy Moeller, who was a roadie with Unit 4 + 2.

But he didn't perform the whistling on the record, and it's never been revealed who did. The most common claim is that it was an Irish trumpeter called John O'Neill, who is also claimed to have provided the whistling for The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (although this too is disputed, because the Italian who played guitar on the latter tune says that it was him).

Others claim that it was one Noel Walker, who produced the record, that it was professional backing singer Mike Sammes, that it was Roger Greenaway, best known for writing I'd like to teach the world to sing, and several others besides.

Starfish13
927814.  Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Looking at the first photo reminded me that the BSL sign for Germany used to be a forefinger raised to point up from the head in representation of a pickelhaube, but has been changed to the sign for eagle in recognition that the former sign was out of date and possibly a little insulting.

Although the old sign can still be found in this translation video.

The BSL sign for "homosexual" was changed for similar reasons, as a rather limp-wristed hand gesture was considered no longer appropriate.

Spud McLaren
936564.  Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote

Post 935947 et seq.

bobwilson
936601.  Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Looking at the first photo reminded me that the BSL sign for Germany used to be a forefinger raised to point up from the head in representation of a pickelhaube,

Erm...............

Bondee
936682.  Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote

What was the point of that, bob?

plinkplonk
960989.  Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Quote:
Looking at the first photo reminded me that the BSL sign for Germany used to be a forefinger raised to point up from the head in representation of a pickelhaube,

Erm...............

In other words, that hat...

Page 1 of 1