View previous topic | View next topic

Kitties

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Oceans Edge
927719.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
..... The same was true of dogs, we had the most docile black lab when I was a child, a gun dog by trade, and we also kept Old English Sheepdogs which were the most cantankerous of animals with strangers. People expected the black one to be vicious and the fluffy ones to be all lovely and cuddly. They were wrong.

It's called "Big Black Dog Syndrome" ... and even huggable newfs suffer from it.

aTao
927732.  Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote

Oceans Edge wrote:
It does, it has a great deal to do with it, with dogs it's known as "Big Black Dog Syndrome"... people associate black animals with evil. And the entertainment industry doesn't help..... any mean dog in a movie is always big and black, any witch always has a black cat.

People really do think they're evil.

But.. witches arent evil. I guess that a whole different thread along with beards and long hair (on a man) arent scruffy, jeans arent tidy.

Oceans Edge
927770.  Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote

aTao wrote:
But.. witches arent evil. I guess that a whole different thread along with beards and long hair (on a man) arent scruffy, jeans arent tidy.

You know that, I know that, any rational thinking person knows that. Alas the 'great unwashed masses'? Not so much. In general they're silly and superstitious and sometimes I swear the human race really hasn't evolved all that far from their days of quivering and shaking at every odd noise as the huddle round their fire in their cave. But those are my cynical days.

Oceans Edge
927776.  Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:12 am Reply with quote

Some other interesting Kitties:
Katherine "Kitty" Cheatham (1864 January 5, 1946) was an American singer, diseuse, and actress.

Marion Catherine "Kitty" Barne (1883 February 3, 1961 was a British screenwriter and writer of children's books, especially on music and musical themes

Kitty White (July 7, 1923 August 11, 2009) was a 1950s/60s jazz vocalist

And our Kitty
Catherine Leyland (first cousin to Albert (Bertie) Leyland)

Oceans Edge
935069.  Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote

and some interesting stuff on Polydactyl kitties, which show up in high concentration in Key West Florida....

Know why? (answer is in the link :)

Dix
935090.  Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote

Science Museum has a stuffed polydactyl cat on display.

exnihilo
935094.  Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote

Kitty was the first British film with sound - although it was originally filmed as a silent movie some parts were reshot in new York to have sound and the film switched to being a 'talkie' halfway through. It was based on the book of the same name by the splendidly named Warwick Deeping.

There are many other interesting Kitties which have nothing whatever to do with cats.

Bondee
935279.  Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote

Some friends of my family used to have a polydactyl tabby. His name was Paddy.

swot
939072.  Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote

Oceans Edge wrote:
bemahan wrote:
I thought black cats were also a symbol of good luck, at least in the UK. I've had 2 very lovely black cats.

Before any one asks, I don't think any of my bad luck things happened whilst I had black cats.:)

Apparently no, the same problem exists in the UK as well. One of the rescues on the group, 'Cats Protection Gateshead & District Branch' reports the same problem. Black cats and kittens take much longer to adopt out than other colours. It's just so silly and so sad.

Apparently, in America...
Seattletimes.com wrote:
It is common practice among rescue organizations to stop allowing black cat adoptions during October, to prevent them from being used as party props and returned, or, as urban legend has it, sacrificed on Halloween. "We don't adopt our black kitties out during October. We just won't take that chance," said Kathy Jentsch of the Purr-fect Sanctuary, a shelter in Hector, Ark.

This is equally sad.

Spud McLaren
939259.  Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote

The shelter is in Arkansas, so what do you expect?

:-)

I was amused when a new colleague asked whether Cotmanhay was the Arkansas of Derbyshire. But I digress.

CB27
940220.  Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:57 am Reply with quote

I don't know if it's mentioned, but there have been reports in the past of a musical instrument called Katzenklavier which is basically a piano made from cats.

The earliest mention found seems to be from 1549, when Felipe II of Spain was visiting his father, Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, at Brussels, and a large bizarre procession of animals and people dressed as animals, entertained them. One of the exhibits was a bear playing an organ, but instead of pipes the keys were attached to the tails of 16 cats, and when the key was pressed the tail would be pulled and the cat would wail.

Athanasius Kircher also described a similar instrument he designed (but hopefully never built), though instead of strings pulling on the tails, spikes would be driven into the cats' tails, prompting them to wail.

Strawberry
940254.  Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:09 am Reply with quote

It says on Wikipedia that Kircher is not known to have actually constructed the instrument.

CB27
940295.  Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote

Hence the "hopefully never built" comment, we don't know if he built it or not :)

Strawberry
940300.  Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote

:) Oh, i see.

And here's another cat/ kitty-related thing.

Link

CB27
940309.  Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote

That rang a distant bell in my head, and I remember this old story:

http://youtu.be/nknkO1I30hM

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next