View previous topic | View next topic

Kitties

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Oceans Edge
927628.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote

A 2002 Study published in the Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science
found that black kittens are half as likely as tabbies, and two thirds less likely as white kittens to be adopted.

August 17th is Black Cat Appreciation Day

Bondee
927636.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote

Oceans Edge wrote:
A 2002 Study published in the Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science found that black kittens are half as likely as tabbies, and two thirds less likely as white kittens to be adopted.

Could the perceived association with witchcraft have something to do with it?

Oceans Edge
927638.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote

It does, it has a great deal to do with it, with dogs it's known as "Big Black Dog Syndrome"... people associate black animals with evil. And the entertainment industry doesn't help..... any mean dog in a movie is always big and black, any witch always has a black cat.

People really do think they're evil.

Jenny
927650.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote

My black cat, Snowball, was 18 in May (born Cup Final day 1994). We've had her since she was a tiny kitten. I took her to the vet's on Friday for her vaccinations and a check-up, and she's doing amazingly well, though she walks a little stiffly these days.

She isn't evil, though she does throw up hairballs every now and then.

Oceans Edge
927653.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote

*grins* I love that you named a black cat Snowball :)

(there's an 'event' set up on Facebook for Black Cat Appreciation Day - folks are posting photos of their favourite black cats)

Posital
927657.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote

Oceans Edge wrote:
(there's an 'event' set up on Facebook for Black Cat Appreciation Day - folks are posting photos of their favourite black cats)
Iz it becoz dey iz black?

Oceans Edge
927660.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote

yez, yez, t'iz

bemahan
927662.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote

I thought black cats were also a symbol of good luck, at least in the UK. I've had 2 very lovely black cats.

Before any one asks, I don't think any of my bad luck things happened whilst I had black cats.:)

Oceans Edge
927663.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote

and because Kitties can be so many things..

Barnhart Concise Dictionary of Etymology wrote:
KITTY noun: a pool or fund of money. 1887, money pooled by players in a card game to defray expenses, probably formed from English ‘kit’ a container or collection of necessary supplies (1833)

Bondee
927664.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote

My bundle of fur and claws can be a little shit, but she's not evil.

mckeonj
927690.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by mckeonj on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

exnihilo
927693.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote

My previous cat, Hecate, was all black and had the nicest nature of any cat I've known but people were more wary of her than they ever were of Moses the tabby (he was found by a river). Presumably for the reasons mentioned. The same was true of dogs, we had the most docile black lab when I was a child, a gun dog by trade, and we also kept Old English Sheepdogs which were the most cantankerous of animals with strangers. People expected the black one to be vicious and the fluffy ones to be all lovely and cuddly. They were wrong.

Oceans Edge
927695.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote

bemahan wrote:
I thought black cats were also a symbol of good luck, at least in the UK. I've had 2 very lovely black cats.

Before any one asks, I don't think any of my bad luck things happened whilst I had black cats.:)

Apparently no, the same problem exists in the UK as well. One of the rescues on the group, 'Cats Protection Gateshead & District Branch' reports the same problem. Black cats and kittens take much longer to adopt out than other colours. It's just so silly and so sad.

suze
927703.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote

The third cat to share our home is currently in residence (and I hope he's looking after the place while we're away!).

All three have been black, and Cats Protection Medway told us the same thing when we spoke to them. They were very pleased to hear from us when we approached them last year - rarely do they have people tell them that a black cat is actually their preference.

Awitt
927709.  Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote

My parents cat is black, he was obtained through a school friend of my sister's whose cat had kittens, 2 ginger and 2 black. Not sure that we got a choice in the colour but every Friday 13 when I lived at home, I'd go to him and say 'I'm seeing a black cat today and nothing bad's happening.'

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next