Page 1 of 1

JumpingJack
30757.  Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:46 am Reply with quote

Q: How many constellations are there?

F: 12

A: 88

Beep
189452.  Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:31 am Reply with quote

It's easier to spot the fainter ones by using red light, like an old bike light.

smiley_face
189454.  Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:34 am Reply with quote

Surely at a distance of several lights years (at the very least), the colour of light used to illuminated stars make little difference as to how well you can see them!

Beep
189455.  Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote

Seems to interest you enough to make negative comments on every post I make...now why is that? Are you bored or just lonely?

smiley_face
189481.  Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:19 am Reply with quote

Not on every - just three (including this one). And I am a mixture of bored and lonely I suppose if I'm quite honest. I'm two weeks into a 15 month 'holiday', and despite working 3 days a week, am still having trouble filling my time. (Isn't it amazing how easy it is to procrastinate when you have a pile of stuff to do, but as soon as you are free to do what you want, you get bored almost immediately.)

In my defence, I wouldn't have said my comments were negative. In reponse to being described as a substance, I said (in post 189284):

smiley_face wrote:
I love it when I'm boiled down to a list of elements. Makes me feel special.

This was a little tongue in cheek, but also serious in the sense that if we are to think of humans as merely a collection of elements, what is the point in life? However, I shall leave getting into an existential debate to a later date.

Regarding post 189201, I would not have said that was negative - I was merely questioning your logic. As a person who SCUBA dives, I have experienced the pressure which water can exert (although only airspaces in the body allow you to sense this, so, for example, the Eustachian tubes and lungs). Therefore, I think it was logical to suggest that the pressure from water would push a worm further into the body.

I am sorry if you have misinterpreted my posts as being unnecessarily critical; however, I was not shouting you down, but rather questioning what you had said. Rather than taking offence, if you come up with an argument against what I have said, then we can have an intelligent discussion on whatever the subject in hand is.

Anyway, back to the topic in hand - what's this about being able to see stars in different coloured light? Can you explain further?

suze
189530.  Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote

It seems to be not so much a function of seeing the stars themselves as of the adaptation of the eye to seeing in the dark.

Certainly, astronomers use red flashlights when they need to consult their maps or whatever, because they don't destroy the adaptation to darkness to anything like the extent that white light does. It's all to do with a chemical called "visual purple".

This is explained here, and in many other places.

Page 1 of 1