Killer topic to kill them all

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

crissdee
986957.  Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Reminds me of this wonderful book:

http://the-haunted-closet.blogspot.ie/2009/04/orrible-murder-1971.html?m=1

Essential and more than occasionally hilarious reading for the Victorian crime enthusiast.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Got it! and well thumbed it is too!

'yorz
986962.  Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote

Used to have it - had to sell it to an antiquarian bookshop. Problem when you have too many books. Had to make a choice which ones to bring over when moving to the UK.

crissdee
987396.  Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
........ too many books......

Sorry, not familiar with this concept.

'yorz
987397.  Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote

Neither was I. But we only had money for 1 crossing, and the van's space was limited. With hindsight I could have stored the surplus and asked others to bring it when visiting, but I was on my own then and started to panic. Made some dreadful decisions.

AlmondFacialBar
987398.  Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Reminds me of this wonderful book:

http://the-haunted-closet.blogspot.ie/2009/04/orrible-murder-1971.html?m=1

Essential and more than occasionally hilarious reading for the Victorian crime enthusiast.

AlmondFacialBar

Got it! and well thumbed it is too!

'yorz wrote:
Used to have it - had to sell it to an antiquarian bookshop. Problem when you have too many books. Had to make a choice which ones to bring over when moving to the UK.

It was a firm family favourite in our house when I was little (and one of my personal favourites for bedtime stories), and when I found it again in my dad's study last December we all looked through it again with a couple of decades more knowledge of Victorian England between our ears and that made it twice as enjoyable.

AlmondFacialBar

CB27
989062.  Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote

I'm sure I wrote about Jesse Pomeroy before, but can't find it.

The story of Jesse is a strange sad case of a boy who seemed able to commit very cruel crimes from a very early age, and by age 11 he was caught abducting, abusing and torturing other young children, cutting them with a knife, and at times sticking pins into their bodies.

Sent to a reform school, he was released after a year for good behaviour, but his sadistic tendencies had not wained.

A month after being paroled into his mother's care, a 10 year old girl went missing, and just weeks later the mutilated body of a 4 year old boy was found in nearby marshes. Police decided to investigate Pomeroy, and they soon found the girl's body in his mother's basement.

Considered for several decades to be the youngest serial killer in US history, Pomeroy was found guilty of murder, and despite the jury's recommendation of mercy because of his age, the judge sentenced him to hang.

Sot surprisingly, the state Governor couldn't bring himself to sign the death warrant, and after three separate votes by the council, the sentence was commuted to life in prison.

While in prison Pomeroy showed great aptitude for studying, and is reported to have become fluent in a number of languages, as well as using information he learned from several law books to mount a number of legal challenges and requests for a pardon.

He eventually died in prison hospital, aged 72.

What caught my attention initially is that, had he been born a century later (and across the pond), he may well have been a young member of Take That:

priya
989064.  Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
What caught my attention initially is that, had he been born a century later (and across the pond), he may well have been a young member of Take That:

:) Now we know how a certain member of Take That might look like when he is older

dr bartolo
989522.  Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote

Carrying on with child murder, The newgate calendar [ may 1748] carries this rather startling case, quoted here at length:

Quote:

"The Boy Murderer," convicted of the Murder of another Child in the Poorhouse of Eyke, in Suffolk, May, 1748

THIS sinner was but just turned ten years of age (my emphassis) when he committed the dreadful crime. He was a pauper in the poorhouse belonging to the parish of Eyke, in Suffolk, and was committed, on the coroner's inquest, to Ipswich Jail for the murder of Susan Mahew, another child, of five years of age, who had been his bedfellow. The following is his confession, taken and attested by a Justice of the Peace, and which was, in part, proved on his trial, with many corroborating circumstances of his guilt.

He said that a trifling quarrel happening between them, on the 13th of May, 1748, about ten in the morning, he struck her with his open hand, and made her cry. That she going out of the house to the dunghill, opposite to the door, he followed her with a hook in his hand, with an intent to kill her; but before he came up to her he set down the hook, and went into the house for a knife; he then came out again, took hold of the girl's left hand, and cut her wrist all round and to the bone, with his knife, and then threw her down, and cut her to the bone just above the elbow of the same arm. That after this he set his foot upon her stomach, and cut her right arm round about, and to the bone, both on the wrist and above the elbow. That he then thought she would not die, and therefore took the hook and cut her left thigh to the bone; and, observing she was not dead yet, his next care was to conceal the murder. For this purpose he filled a pail with water at a ditch, and washed the blood off the child's body, buried it in the dunghill, together with the blood that was spilt upon the ground, and made the dunghill as smooth as he could; afterwards he washed the knife and hook, and carried them into the house, washed the blood off his own clothes, hid the child's clothes in an old chamber, and then came down and got his breakfast. This "boy murder" was found guilty, and sentence of death pronounced against him; but he was respited from time to time, and on account of his tender years, was at length pardoned.

(http://www.pascalbonenfant.com/18c/newgatecalendar/william_york.html)

Wiki also provides us with this illustration:

Sadurian Mike
989524.  Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote

Sounds like a budding surgeon to me.

Albeit a rather loopy one.

CB27
989586.  Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote

Sounds a bit suspicious to me that a 10 year old boy could physically be capable of the described event, especially as he was living in a poorhouse at the time. Considering the era it took place in, and his circumstances, he would have very likely been very slightly built.

germananglophile
989612.  Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Sounds a bit suspicious to me that a 10 year old boy could physically be capable of the described event, especially as he was living in a poorhouse at the time. Considering the era it took place in, and his circumstances, he would have very likely been very slightly built.

Well... she supposedly was half his age, therefore probably half his size and was also said to have lived in the poorhouse. He wouldn't have had too much a job in overpowering her, nor would he probably have bothered digging a very deep grave. Gruesome to read though.

dr bartolo
989823.  Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:06 am Reply with quote

We also have the case of the Servant girl annihilator
This killer, who preyed upon Austin, Texas from 1884-5, was one of the earliest serial killers in the US, and had 16 known victms. The description of the suspect varied greatly, from people in blackface, a voodoo practitioner, or someone in a mother hubbard style dress.
It also has been said that the Austin moon towers , the only ones still functioning in the world, were installed as a result of The servant girl anihillator's actions, but then again, the first tower was installed a decade after the attacks.
All this considering that the name history has chosen to give him sounds much like a weapon of mass destruction in some MMORPG

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3